Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Signs of spring

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 13, 11 at 18:06

I saw a bluebird checking out my birdhouse yesterday. It's never had anything but sparrows nesting in it before so I'm hoping.
We have some daffodils and hellebores blooming and that's about it.
I guess the thunder we've been hearing is a sign of spring too.
Yesterday was sooo nice. We don't have enough days when the temperature is just right like that but very little wind. We gathered some rocks to fill a little sink hole that's forming in the field.
Chloe was keeping an eye on a hole in our back yard where garter snakes emerge every spring. I let the dogs in for awhile and watched to see if anything crawled out but not a one. Maybe it needs to be a little warmer. I can't help but wonder how deep the den is. I really hope my house doesn't fall into a sink hole someday.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Signs of spring

Yesterday was a perfect day for working outside.

I began the flower bed cleanup.....nothing but dead nettle.

We got 1.75 inches of rain late yesterday and a lot of serious lightening.

Today isn't going to be quite so nice!

o

Supposed to be better tomorrow, and the rest of the week. I need to get back out there again! So many weeds and leaves, so little time! Things are popping up faster than I can uncover them to see the flowers!

o

Today is a beautiful day. The ground is muddy but it is a bit cool and perfect for shoveling mushroom compost which I finally bought. Christie I saw a rabbit in a yard in Joplin with nest materials in its mouth. Little bunnies are cute even if they do eat stuff.

o

I don't see as many rabbits as I used to. I think the black snakes, hawks and feral cats keep them in check. We have a coyote that comes around occasionally too.
I saw a tree blooming with white flowers yesterday, maybe some kind of magnolia - first blooming tree I've seen so far this spring. We should have a lot of trees blooming soon now that it's warming up.

o

I think three barking small dogs with sweet faces might scare away the rabbits. I am going to take some pictures of my daffodils even though they are all in the weeds and you will see how wild it is here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here