Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Speaking of lettuce seedlings............

gldno1
15 years ago

Here are mine along with some onion seedling out in the hay cold frame where they have now been for two days. I am loving the red one called Red Sails. They are growing in plug cells.

I have the cabbage and broccoli and some snaps our there now too.

From 2009_03_17

I think if you click on the photo, it will take you to a Picasa Web Album, the first pictures of the season that I took this morning. I risked cleaning off the HB bed but left the debris at the edges to toss over things if I need to.

Comments (4)

• helenh
    15 years ago

I enjoyed your album and especially the helpers. Looks like you have been busy. My yard is overwhelming; henbit and chickweed everywhere. We had a chance of rain and now it is down to 20% which means unlikely to hit me.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Your lettuce looks good. It's definitely bigger than mine. I have a few seedlings that look reddish. I need to get out my seed packet again and see what all was in there.

Good looking helpers. Our older Sheltie walks around the yard with me sometimes. But I'm afraid to let the puppy out with me. She's so hyper. I don't think I could ever catch her.

Those are the same type mantis egg cases that I've been finding on my shrubs and I think they are the big Chinese mantids. I've been debating whether I should destroy them or just leave them alone. I've seen photos of Chinese Mantids hanging out on hummingbird feeders waiting for a meal.

Lots of henbit and chickweed in my yard too Helen. It's pretty easy to pull though if the ground is soft. We haven't mowed yet this year and we have tufts of wild onions everywhere sticking up well above the grass. There's some in my flower beds too.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I planted lettuce today directly in the ground. I wish I had mantid egg cases. Maybe I do and don't know it. Did you introduce them? I have never seen a mantis that could catch a bird. Maybe they would get the wasps that come to bird feeders. I have old dogs but when I stoop to weed they come and nose me; then another one comes and there is jealousy and I can't weed anymore. No rain here I watered today a little.

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

We just had a trace of rain in the raingauge this morning. Hoping you'll get a good rain soon, Helen. We could all use it.

I'm planting my lettuce and raddiccio out today. Checked to see if the sugar snap peas are up yet (I soaked and germinated them before planting) but not yet. Parsley is all germinating, finally got my light set up going. You all have really inspired me to start seeds (for the first time!). It is fun, isn't it?

Glenda, I loved your album. Such a precious dog and cat. Your gardens are really going to be lovely this summer. Hope you will take photos for us.
    Sunny