Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspeachyn5

weather next few days

jspeachyn5
15 years ago

Have any of you seen the weather??

I looks like we could get 3-4" here in Joplin according to the weather man. He says if the stars line up just right and etc... we could end up w/more than that.

Well I for one want winter to be over. How ever we do need the moisture.

So I need to make a run to the market an p/u a few things an refill some meds just in case.

Hope no one has too many things they will have to cover b/c of the temps. My hosta will get covered everything else can fend for them selves.

Bonnie

Comments (16)

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

Took all the pots out to the porches last weekend from the garage. I guess tomorrow I'll drag them all back into the garage for another week or so. UGH!

• proudgm_03
    15 years ago

I received a weather alert for accummulating snow Saturday. I can't believe it. Then it's supposed to be 50 Sunday. I guess I won't be planting out like I planned.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

My biggest worry is the fruit trees. Most of the blossoms are dropped so the tiny fruit is exposed.......can't do anything about that.

The perennials will just have to take their chances but I will move the pots of blueberries inside and may take the flats out of the rather open cold frame.......or not.

It is just lettuces, snaps, cabbage, broccoli and seedling onions........might not hurt them at all.

I may toss leaves over the lilies...I lost all blooms one year because they were up too tall and got frozen back.

I guess I will just patrol the yard and do what I can.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just heard on the news that some have lost power in Oklahoma.
    I was planning on putting some of my ws out this weekend. I guess my plans have changed.
    Maybe I will do some baking instead.
    the red bud tree is so pretty right now. I wonder if it will be after this storm goes through.
    Bonnie

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

I'm concerned about my climbing roses and HTs -- the canes have been cut back and are all leafed out. New canes coming from above the graft. No flower buds yet, thank goodness. I don't see how I can cover them up. The vegetables (snow peas, onions, and broccoli) are going to get shredded leaves over them today. They have survived the maurading possom so surely a little insulating snow won't hurt them too much.

Hope everyone's plants and trees get through okay. And that no one loses power.

Maybe it won't be as bad as we have imagined --

Sunny

• helenh
    15 years ago

My forecast shows possible snow but not bitterly cold. It has been getting cold at night anyway. I don't see this as a big threat. My area is not supposed to get much snow. In the past snow has not been as bad as cold. Sometimes snow melts and the plants are fine. The fruit trees bloomed too early because of our warm spells. Between now and May there will be more cold I'm sure.

• joannedisfan
    15 years ago

I'm in NW AR and I have planted a few things. Most of them are just tiny little things. I was thinking I would pull out an old tarp that has a silver side and put it silver side down to try and protect the plants. Is this a good idea or will it smother the plants. This is my first garden so I'm still learning the ropes.

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

I don't know about the tarp, joanne, as I have never put one over plants, but I used 5-gallon buckets, cat litter containers, and large pots over mine this morning. Maybe someone has used a tarp and will tell you if this is okay. I would think with a snowfall that it would mash the plants down. The daylillies are pretty tough and hosta is just now peeking up, so leaves over them will probably be enough.

Hoping Helen is right and it won't get bitterly cold.

Sunny

• helenh
    15 years ago

If the tarp is plastic and it touches the plants, they will still get hurt. If you could prop it up on something or use buckets, you would be safer. I have used old sheets before and my dogs welcomed the new bed. My hosta tips burn off every spring whether I cover them or not. It is the plantagenea that always gets burned some of the others seem to take a frost.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well it just started sleeting here in Joplin, @ 10 a.m.
    Now I just see rain. So I guess it has finally gotten here.
    I went out an covered what I thought really needed it. So we will see.
    Everyone stay warm an safe.
    Bonnie

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

We were watching the radar from St. Louis. It looked like Joplin was right on the edge for quite awhile. Did you get much snow Bonnie? Tulsa got several inches. We only got a dusting here. The ground was warm. Glad it all didn't stick.

I got home in time to bring my waterlogged seedlings in from outside. I was worried about them drying out but there must've been a good rain while we were gone.

I didn't rush out into the snow to cover anything though. When I checked the temp this morning it was 30 so maybe the damage won't be too bad. I wonder if a light coating of snow makes fruit less likely to be damaged or more.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Christie, we were quite lucky. We had rain off an on since Friday. Then that little bit of freezing rain. The snow didn't stick until last night when the temps dropped. It is all gone now. An so far everything looks fine. I would just imagine you got the rain off and on like we did. I know we sure needed it here.
    I think a lot of things should start to pop out side now that it has had some moisture and the sun is to be out tomorrow and up to 60.
    I had covered the hosta beds but nothing else. I don't think it stayed down below freezing more than a few hours and the soil was warm on the top layer so I don't think there will be much damage.
    Bonnie

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

Bonnie, so glad your hostas were okay. We were very lucky here. I covered my giants and some of the roses with buckets and when I uncovered them, the foilage looked just like the roses I didn't cover! Also -- I covered those snow peas which were just up a little bit. Guess what? They grew under there. I'll never worry about peas again!

Sunny

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sunny, sorry to hear about your roses. I really am not the person to give advice on roses since I can not grow one for the life of me. I would think since it is so early that they should be able to put out new foliage. maybe remove the dead and see if, new grows in its place. ??
    I think it helped my bed b/c they are up close to the brick house. That holds some heat at the soil. Those beds usually grow sooner and die back later that the ones further away from the house.
    Maybe someone who really knows about roses could help.
    Bonnie

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

Bonnie, thank you. I think the roses are going to turn out just fine with time.
    Sunny

• joannedisfan
    15 years ago

The tarp seems to have worked. My onions got a bit squished, but are recovering. My radishes are looking a bit yellow but they were not under the tarp. I had not noticed that they had sprouted. But they are still sprouting so I should have a good crop still. All the water had helped the garden grow.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner