Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

More perennials!

mosswitch
13 years ago

Another shipment of perennials at Ozark Nursery. Hostas, veronicas, more echinaceas, gorgeous daylilies (doubles). and more. Still lots of bareroot roses too, at about half the price of potted ones. Can you tell I'm excited? More to come!

Comments (9)

• sunnyside1
    13 years ago

Yes!! I can tell. I am, as well! Will try to get out there tomorrow. Hostas, veronicas, echinaceas ! -- you should see my garage with big flat containers of hostas, astilbe, cannas -- sort of heeled in, but more "planted." This year I can really get around and DO it, outside, so I'm ready! We all are, I think, Mosswitch --
    Sunny
    P.S. I'm with you, 100% on violets, etc. in lawn -- they are so beautiful.

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will be there tomorrow, look me up! Probably be in the greenhoouse in back, potting things!

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

Ooo, veronicas, I've been wanting some.....I think I'll make a trip Saturday. It's a bit more than an hour away but I love exploring nurseries.

And....

I will not buy roses.
    I will not buy roses.
    I will not buy roses.
    I will not buy roses.
    I will not buy roses.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I don't buy roses because I have trouble with them except so far the Knock Outs. If you can grow them buy them; life is short. Here are perennials coming up with more chickweed at the base of a Russian sage.

• sunnyside1
    13 years ago

Golly, you have everything cleared off, Helen. I guess I'll do mine soon. Such promise there! I really like your "life is short" philosophy. I'm changing to all Knock Outs, because life is too short to deal with fussy HT's that are the Prima Donnas of my flowers. Yet -- Queen Elizabeth (florabunda) will stay. Can't help it-- I'm addicted to their beauty and fragrance.
    Sunny

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bare root shrubs, today. Viburnums, red twig dogwood, chokeberry, nydrangeas, etc etc etc. Lots of Knock Out roses, Sunny. I know, I hate HT roses also. In fact I don't like any roses with thorns but I do have a few, including one antique climbing rose that has skin-ripping qualities beyond belief. The only reason it's still there is that I'm not brave enough to tackle it and get it out of there, it has 30' canes and reaches high into a tree. My next climber won't have thorns, maybe climbing Cecile Brunner.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

This is so funny ladies...you are giving up HT...I have decided to jump in very lightly again with just three:

Mr, Lincoln, Chrysler Imperial for their fragrance and color.

and one floribunda, Gene Boerner...fragrant.

No more though...that will complete my garden fence bed.

I may live to regret it, but in that bed I have two heirloom roses that require special attention (acid soil)and babying so I figure if I am doing them I can surely handle three more close by.

Helen, love that pink bird!

I haven't started cleaning and pruning the flower beds yet.
    Working on the kitchen garden.
    We pruned peach, plum, apple and cherry trees yesterday. I was on the ladder with the chain saw and DH was holding the ladder steady.

I hope to finish up the blackberry and raspberry patch today.

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

I've got too many roses in my yard already, Helen, but I like your philosophy too! I have Knockouts along with other easy care types. I don't like anything fussy or diseased if I'm going to go to the trouble of dynamiting a hole for it.

I'm a sucker for roses though and have been known to make an impulse purchase. Or two. Or three.

• helenh
    13 years ago

I love the old fragrant roses, rugosa alba and big climbers but I think there are too many multiflora around here. I suspect disease comes from them. Years ago my dairy farmer neighbor listened to the conservation dept. and planted a multiflora rose hedge. The hedge was bull dozed but the area is infested with it.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA