Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnyside1_gw

Raised Bed

sunnyside1
13 years ago

Thought I needed to grow more of my own food this summer, so bought a 4x4 raised bed kit at HDepot. It was $35 and everything was made of redwood. I couldn't have bought landscape timber, rebar, and had it made for that. The sides are 2 boards high and are total 6 inches. I dug down about 12-14 inches and got the soil broken up. Couldn't believe how many earthworms there were -- little babies, mommas, and big papas. I remember dissecting a really big papa in high school and it was gross. The teacher swore there was a little heart, lungs, etc. (that we were supposed to see and draw) but I guess my partner and I were a little too vigorous. Nothing but mush. I was just so sorry for that worm. Now I love them and see they get to a garden if I find them.

I thought I would be able to put that raised bed together by myself, but I couldn't have done it in this century. My Gentleman Friend gallantly offered and he and his cat figured it out and manhandled those long screws in.

I also went to Southwest Products (SWP) between 3rd and 4th on McClelland in Joplin and found 3 birdhouses with wren-sized holes half-price, plus a couple of beautiful fancy sticks to put in my beds. He said they were on sale "until the truck comes in" -- so lucky me. They are Hobby Lobby quality birdhouses.

Here's a photo of my new raised bed --

BTW, I saw cultivated Dead Nettle for sale that was varigated and very pretty. Can you imagine buying that stuff? I have pulled a gazillion buckets of the wild plants.

Sunny

Comments (10)

• gldno1
    13 years ago

That is a very attractive raised bed. What do you plan to grow in it?

I said dead nettle could be considered a ground cover! Not here. I spent a lot of time yesterday with the string trimmer trying to cut it before it sets seed. Then I have to get down on my knees to pull it from between the plants.

I have some kind of grass covering the cellar...maybe brome.
    The seeds blow across the yard...You can't pull it. I have it growing amidst some iris. I finally just dug a clump and pulled it out....I now have a box of Barb's iris laying in a box. I may not replant them.

• sunnyside1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'll probably put an heirloom tomato and some of the Lee okra from seed -- maybe some onion sets, if they are all good companions --
    Sunny

• helenh
    13 years ago

It is very neat and you got a good buy. I am trying to figure out where the store is where you got the bird houses. Is there one that I am missing? It is nice to have a helper. Glenda Lamium is dead nettle.

• sunnyside1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Helen, I was on McClelland today and it turns into Maiden Lane at 26th. Go north on Maiden Lane past 4th Street and you'll see a large brick building on the east. Address is 301 Maiden Lane. It's a warehouse-type building, with the doors facing north. Tele is 417-624-3800 -- you might phone first to see if the "truck has come in" yet. I go there every year -- they have lots of pots, trellis, boxes and boxes of lovely fancy garden sticks. I bought a shiny green metal watering can (got the last green one, but there were red ones) for $6.45 -- it's a real adventure because you never know what you'll find. Oh yes, there were lots of different hummingbird feeders as well. I bought 2 sets of 8 4ft redwood stakes for $3.90/pkg. They also have metal oblisks and huge pottery pots. You remember how we like to move those around--lol

I swear I don't have any commercial connection to them, but am just a customer.
    Sunny

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

That looks good Sunny. I like the way the corner posts are done. I'm jealous. I want raised beds so bad. The only thing stopping me is my Bermuda grass.... I also have a tree in the way where I'd like to put them and a severe lack of time. I dream though. I'd like get maybe four and put paths between them and a birdbath or something in the center sort of like a Potager Garden. sigh

• sunnyside1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Christie, I like the corner posts, too. The flat parts may stop rain from running down into the corner "innerds." Maybe next year you can just dig out the Burmuda. I used to have that grass in my yards in other houses and loved it, but never realized what a pain it would be in cultivated beds. I was lucky that raised beds were already established, and some next to sidewalks. I think the big sun perinneal bed here I had tilled was part Zoysia and I picked and pulled it out, then made a raised bed out of it with cardboard beneath. I don't have any trouble with it, so far. Really, I wouldn't like gardening without cardboard! (Thanks to Wal-Mart)

All your plantings look beautiful in the photos you share, and you are so knowledgeable about plants. Someday you will have the time, I promise, and ask me how I know this -- I once wondered if I would ever have the time to live my dream.
    Sunny

• arkyfried
    13 years ago

I have potatoes growing in a raised bed and aspargus in another. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what good companion plants would be, especially of the fruit or vegetable type.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I have a friend who planted onions around her potatoes; supposed to repel Colorado Potato Beetle. Good companions for asparagus would be tomatoes, basil or parsley. Tomatoes are supposed to repel the asparagus beetle.

Good luck; be sure to let us know how everything does.

• ceresone
    13 years ago

Gldno, I hadn't thought of this in years, but one rule my Dad had was that you never put potatoes and onions together. Said the onions made the potatoes eyes water, and they couldnt see to grow. He was serious--companion planting from the early 1900's
    Dont know if its true--because I never do it.

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

That's a pretty raised bed and one huge cat!

I think this year I'm only going to grow some tomatoes in amongst my flowers. I made the mistake originally of siting my veggie garden at the opposite end of the yard from the hose so I never use it now. Dragging hose that far isn't too difficult but the rolling it back up about kills me.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County