helenh_gw

poppies

helenh
14 years ago

Winter sown and self sown poppies.

Comments (11)

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Helen, that's interesting. I know you are a little south of me but I haven't seen any yet. I do have orientals up pretty tall. I need to do some searching. I didn't plant any assuming mine would self seed again.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glenda I am south of you, but according to the weather site, I'm colder than you. At least my recommended planting dates were later. I forget where we saw that. I think it was a link Christie provided.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glenda the wintersown poppies came up too early so I planted them and put a plastic tub over them. That is why they are earlier than yours. The reseeded one took care of itself and had no cover. This is the kind of junk I have in my yard along with old pieces of carpet for weed smothering, a million pots and stakes and too many yard ornaments.

• kadasuki
    14 years ago

I just purchased red oriental poppies from Walmart and winter-sewed them in my 7 inches of snow. Do you think they'll sprout? I love poppies, can't find any colors but the red ones here, sigh.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't grown the perennial ones in years but I think winter sowing will work. They probably won't bloom until next year. You should be able to find shirley poppies at wal-mart. I have some Shirley poppies if you want to send me your address. Are you familiar with poppies. They look ratty after they bloom and are kind of a cottage garden plant.

• kadasuki
    14 years ago

I have never heard of shirley poppies but will look them up. The only ones I know of are the fancy ones I've seen in garden catalogs and the red ones of Flanders Fields and Veterans' memorials.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shirley poppies come in pastel colors and also the red flanders field type which I think are the same type of poppy. They should have been planted last fall but you might get something this year if you get them in the ground soon. I actually like P somniferum better which also should have been planted last fall.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kadasuki I found my Shirley poppies planted last winter. Mine are not very big. I think you could sow them now and catch up. I found Shirley Poppies at Wal-Mart - I have a cat on my keyboard - Ferry Morse seed before sunflowers and after ornamental gourds. Or I will send you some, I have plenty. Spanky is being a real pain. Now she is kneading her paws on me. Earlier she was bugging the dog.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I finally found one reseeded poppy. Now I am wondering where all the others are!

My red/orange orientals are up 6 inches or so and the ones I started from seed a few years ago are up too. I think three small clumps of those, a white and a pink one.

Our only house cat almost never sits in DH's lap and never in mine. She is a funny creature. She has nothing to do with her grown babies outside!

• janie1979
    14 years ago

I love poppies and have tried to plant them several times without success. I bought seeds again this year and plan to plant this weekend. I hope I'm not too late to plant. helenh, I frequently have that same problem with trying to hold the cat and use the keyboard at the same time, sometimes it's a cat, sometimes a dog.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You might try milk jug top on them if you can put up with that look. Or a plastic tub with plenty of air circulation like I used above. I winter sowed in the milk jugs. Then you have to transplant hunks of seedlings because they don't transplant well.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio