Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Interesting Idea-Seeds

Posted by sunnyside1 z6/SW Mo. (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 8, 13 at 22:52

Just this morning I was wondering what to do with my old vegetable seeds -- some from 2008+. I am pretty sure I am a Total Pack Rat, because I have seeds that never-somehow-got-planted, from 'way back.

I'm attaching a link which gives me hope that those seeds will live again (perhaps) and to that end, I'm dedicating space in most of my raised beds for this experiment. I've always mulched with chopped leaves or comfrey leaves, etc. but -- darn! - this appeals to my Conservative Spirit and my interest in Just Trying Things Out. So, we shall see. Anybody game?
Sunny
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food/2013/03/edible_mulch_throwing_seeds_at_the_garden_is_the_ultimate_low_effort_high.html

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Interesting Idea-Seeds

I have lots of seeds that I bought and didn't plant. I might throw some around. I have lots of old flowers seeds that I could throw because otherwise I would never get them planted. I don't have a nice prepared area that isn't already spoken for; it would be like the mustard seed story. Some of them might happen to hit a place where they would grow. I doubt I would use crowder peas but they are supposed to be good for your soil. I could throw them between tomato plants until the tomatoes needed the space.

Here is a link that might be useful: sunny's link

o

Well, upon sleeping on the idea, I think I'll dedicate one raised bed to this method, along with my regularly planted potted vegetable starts in there. That appeals enough to my experimental nature.

Besides, the neighbors already think I'm weird, and I guess I am.
Sunny

o

I've done a bit of this. After transplanting things like cabbage, broc, etc...I sprinkle in seeds for carrots, dill, etc. I've only done it in raised beds. It makes for a decidedly different looking garden. My mother had a bit of a puzzled look when she came to view my gardens. I was sure she didnt approve of the 'lived in' look but later told me how smart it was to take advantage of that otherwise wasted space. Getting your mothers approval always feels good :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here