Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
velobard

How to plan for a late start for the garden

velobard
10 years ago

I have been looking forward very much to this planting season, but for reasons beyond my control, I'm stuck out of Missouri for at least a couple more months. The garden hasn't been touched since the last of the produce was gathered last year, so it will take time to prep. I won't have a chance to get back to Missouri to get started until at LEAST the last half May and perhaps even later. That said, what strategies can anyone suggest for how to plan for a late start for a vegetable and herb garden, with a good portion still having to come from seeds?

Side note...I have a few potted fruit trees that wintered in the garage. I had been planning to plant them this spring, but is it a good idea to plant them if we're getting into the hot summer weather? Would it be better to wait until fall?

FYI, this is in Greene County.

Comments (5)

• helenh
    10 years ago

You won't be too late for warm season vegetables. I would buy tomato plants not start from seed unless you can start them inside where you are. I think I would want to get the fruit trees in the ground even though there is a risk. You are going to have to skip the early stuff. If you were home at all even to stop by you could scratch up a small spot for lettuce and radishes and just throw some onions sets on the top of the ground because they are cheap and want to grow.

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

I agree with Helen. You might want to "outsource" growing your vegetables from seed and this year buy your veg plants. A good mulch, buying true summer vegs, and you should be okay. That said, I'd definitely plant zucchini in late May. And as Helen said, onions.

I would think the hardest part of this would be finding good plants that late. Possible to buy where you are and transport? We once moved and brought 15 potted plants in the back seat of our sedan, along with a Labrador puppy, from Pennsylvania to Massachusetts, so it Can Be Done. Good luck.
    Sunny

• velobard
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I'm halfway across the country, so there's no chance of dropping by to scatter some seeds. My schedule is up in the air about my return (I don't even know for sure whether we'll drive or fly back), so I'm just praying we'll still do OK with the garden. We just bought the house last year so we're just getting it established. We had a decent garden last year and bigger plans this spring, but sometimes fate has other ideas.

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

I am in Cedar county, closed on property on JUne and started garden about July 20. Still had a good garden, nice squash and beans, a few tomatoes and when it got cooler....lots of lettuce,radishes, swiss chard,collards and kale.
    Don't give up.

• gldno1
    10 years ago

Check the maturation date on seeds like sweet corn, squash, etc. but I am betting you still have time for a good late garden.The longest time required for most is between 100 and 120 days. So figure time planted to time of frost and you will know what you are dealing with.