Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oakleif

not frost!!!!!!

oakleif
16 years ago

Ft. Smith tv 5 says frost this week in northern AR. Possible down in the upper 20,s. Simply can't get that cold. I'll twitch my nose and ride my broomstick around. LOL!! I do hope they're wrong. At least i've not uncovered every thing. maybe somethings will be saved. Be sure and protect your maters and peppers.

vickie

Comments (20)

• gldno1
    16 years ago

We have the same prediction, unfortunately, I have cleaned off my perennial beds.............I think I will just take my chances. Shouldn't kill anything...just set them back. Only thing in the garden is spinach, lettuce (very tiny), potatoes aren't up yet.

Probably kill all my tiny peaches though.

Drat..................

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

from cold to hot to cold. crazy! haven't set out any vegetables though. which appears to be good. the soil conservation people gave me the last frost date as the 18th here. guess someone has been tracking temps pretty good.

william

• arkietransplant
    16 years ago

Hello, I am new to this site and this is my second spring in NWA. I have planted ALL my tomatos, peppers, etc. and now after 70 and 80s we are having this freeze!!! What can I do to protect my kitchen garden and flower beds?? I need advise from all you experts!!

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Darn - I was hoping they'd raise the forecasted temps a few degrees and they lowered it instead. Last night I covered some annual poppy seedlings that were just coming up but that's all. It's going to get colder tonight. I have several hostas with their leaves unfurled that will look like heck if they freeze.
    Arkietransplant - Welcome! - I'm not an expert but, try to use something that won't touch and freeze against the foliage like cardboard boxes or buckets. If you use blankets, you can use something underneath to prop them up a little and rocks to hold them down at the corners so they won't blow off. Try not to use anything like plastic tarp unless you're very careful to remove before it gets too hot under there the next day.

• pauln
    16 years ago

I've had good luck turning large empty black plastic pots up over tender plants. The drain holes don't seem to really matter much. Make sure you remove the covers when it warms up. You can replace them again if it gets cold on further nights. Good luck. You know, it's always nice to get a head start on your tender veggies, but there's a reason that the "experts" warn about late frosts. Just because Wally World and the other big boxes have lots of pretty plants for sale doesn't mean they are ready to be stuck in the ground.

• JamesY40
    16 years ago

I like the idea of using the black pots. I was just wondering how to protect my annuals that I have already planted. James

• Ginge
    16 years ago

Oh %$%^# XXX rated now they are saying possibly in the teens :( Kiss em good bye :(
    Gin

• kaye
    16 years ago

There is only so much we can do..haven't set the yender veggies out but the hydrangeas stand to get bit back enough to lose this year's blooms and some damage expected on other perenniels . Roses will be fine..they don't mind a bit of frost..but we spent the afternoon loading the greenhouse back up again with all the tropicals..could be worse, I guess.

Looked like this here this week..wonder what later this week will look like..

• arkietransplant
    16 years ago

Kaye that is beautiful! I am also owned by Border Collies too. Two full bc's and a bc/english spaneil mix. Peaked at your pictures they are wonderful.

We covered everything last night and so far so good, but I hear the hard freeze is Sat Sun and Mon. Good Luck everyone!!

Here is a link that might be useful: The dogs and yard photos

• gldno1
    16 years ago

kaye, what is that gorgeous purple just behind the dog?

Now they are saying down to 16° for us by the weekend......

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Kaye - What is the deep purple flowering shrub? Very pretty. Love the rock.

I covered several things last night but I didn't think of my hydrangeas. : ( Wish I'd covered those too. I think it got down to 28. I probably should've covered my mums also. I was told those can be completely killed by late freezes sometimes. Hope it didn't get cold enough for that but I will cover them the next two nights just in case.

Arkietransplant - Going to look at the rest of your pictures now. : )
    I brought all my winter sowed seedlings inside. I don't want to take a chance and it's easier to bring them all in rather than try to research which ones are ok to leave out.
    I have two Shasta viburnums that are loaded with flower buds that are just starting to open and I was so looking forward to seeing them in bloom. I'm wondering what this cold will do to them.

• JamesY40
    16 years ago

I have already planted my tropical shrubs. I will cover with a blanket tonight and hope that they come through OK.

• kaye
    16 years ago

The deep purple shrubs are azaleas. Only got to 34 last night..but still going down the rest of the week..

arkietransplant, I enjoyed looking at your pictures..loved the one of the guys and the goose poo! My older BC turns his nose up at such..but the young one is into everything!

• oakleif
    Original Author
    16 years ago

welcome arkietransplant.
    Kaye,i don't think i've seen that shade of purple azalias before. they're beautiful.
    vickie

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

It was still only 28 at 11:00 and windy. brrrr

Thinking positive though - Going to keep an eye on the clearance section at Wal-Mart and Lowe's. I might be able to pick up some very sorry looking plants at a low price.

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

you can get a clearance here. tues nite i lost 120 tomatoes and about 50 peppers. i looked at the weather and thought i saw a low of 35-40. the plants were in my greenhouse. must have been in the 20's. maybe i was looking at the weather in texas. next week temps don't look that great either!

william- in yellville

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Oooooh so sorry William. That must be so disappointing. Are you going to start over?

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Sorry William. I am looking outside my window and all my perennials are probably frozen to the ground, I had lilies up about 15 inches and they look like blackened sticks....I haven't checked the cabbages and broccoli.

The only plants that looks untouched are the Siberian irises. The TB are laying on the ground. We all may have to resort to annuals this year.

The ground was white with frost this morning and it was 19°.

Sure hope this was the last of this weather!

• mulberryknob
    16 years ago

Well, I learned that Super Sugar Snap Peas can't take 20 degree temps, although they have come through 28-30 before. Hate to start over as those were already two feet tall, but what else to do? We dug up a dozen tomatoes, a few eggplants and peppers as well as basil and brought them back onto the porch/greenhouse. Covered some things, but not enough. Just too cold.

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

not starting over. too late. forging ahead. still have some left. i hated to lose black from tula, marianna's peace, german red strawberry, earl's faux, cherokee purple etc. i still have aunt gertie's gold.

lost about 30% of the flowers i started.

this cold is staying too long. could be some severe damage for everyone. the hickory tree in our front yard has totally wilted/ limp leaves. i don't think i have ever seen anything quite like this.

temps are supposed to dip back down late next week. hope i am looking at the correct weather this time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

william

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz