Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Journal - Last Day of April !

Posted by gldno1 z6MO (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 30, 10 at 6:39

Where has this month gone.....

I suspect I won't do anything outside today. The wind here is awful; we can feel it hit the house at times. With the loose dusty stuff on the road, even winds stirs up a lot of dust. We both seem to be allergic to it. I sneeze and DG coughs.

We did get one strand of polywire around my new orchard/garden space. I finished up the weedy end of the garage wall border and cleaned out the iris bed at the back of the garage; thinned more peaches by standing on the lawn mower.

I resorted to gly-4 for the brome around some things in the bed and need to paint some sapling stumps with diesel. If it kills part of the russian sage so be it. I must have just let things go last summer late! What a mess.

None of the Sugar Snap peas came up. I dug down and can find no seeds at all...something must have eaten them.

Also saw a Lorraine Sunshine rudbeckia terribly wilted. Checked around it and found a mole run under it. I stamped it down but don't know if it will survive or not. I think I will water it in today to settle the air pockets around it.

I moved the plants out to the cold frame but put the storm window at an angle over to protect from the winds. The tomatoes are looking really good, a nice dark green. I re-potted a few of them yesterday into bigger pots. It is late I know but now I won't have to get in a hurry to put them into the ground.

The little plum tree is way too loaded. I hope the winds will eliminate some because they are hard to pull off.

I think that has me updated.

How about the rest of you. Are the winds carrying you off?
to say nothing of the poor iris.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Journal - Last Day of April !

I'm enjoying these blustery days. It's one of the things I love about the area. :D

I moved a Sum & Substance hosta from the front too-sunny garden to my backyard garden. In case anyone doesn't know, this hosta gets huge, so I needed to get it moved before it grew to the size of a shed. It looks perfect in the new location plus I'll be able to enjoy it more.

Its old location is an oddball area composed of dry shade with just enough hot afternoon sun to make planting a challenge.

I'm battling crabgrass. Acres of it. I didn't know what it was last year and let it go. Ug.

I'm working on my shade garden under the upstairs deck. I'm amazed at how the hostas have doubled in size since last year. I'm going to be adding some astilbe and Lady's Mantle next week. I really love shade gardening!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here