Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

April 16-30 Gardening Journal

gldno1
15 years ago

I thought I would start a new journal to finish off the month.

I finally got out yesterday and finished cleaning some flower beds and cleaned up the resulting debris. Things are looking tidier now. I still have the garage bed and the milk parlor bed to finish up.

I risked planting some lettuce plugs around the edge of the flower bed closest to the back door. They are getting pretty sorry looking in those little plugs. I think I will finish up today.

I need to move some tomatoes from 6-packs to larger containers. They are getting leggy.

Hope you all had a good gardening day. BTW, the vinca are blooming in the flat under the lights. I need to start hardening them off.

Comments (25)

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I forgot to add what is in bloom.

Not much: some daffs, lunaria just starting, clematis are budded, buds on my early purple iris, a new viburnum, Mohawk, the millions of white and purple violets.....and, of course, the dandelions. Apple trees are just starting to show some bloom.

• ceresone
    15 years ago

Well, I have to start moving a fence today. And, the maddening(a word?) thing about it, is that it only needs to be moved about 12-24 inches!
    Some of my lumber for the first beds will be here tomorrow, and by sighting down the garden fence, I realized if the fence went up--just a little, then it would give more room on the path on the other end. And with my garden tractor, I need all the room I can get, since the tame blackberries are on the opposite side of the path. Clear as mud, right??
    Anyway, I love this weather-a friend in New Mexico says she has been getting snow for several days. That we dont want.
    Anyway--everyone enjoy the sunshine.

• teeandcee
    15 years ago

We planted some boxwood, roses, and euonymus yesterday in the front yard and a tall, narrow evergreen in the backyard.

Today we'll be finishing up the front yard, and I'll be finishing up my patio container gardens. I also need to transplant some heirloom 'maters I got at Baker Creek as they're pretty leggy.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I bought some candy onion plants at MFA; I hope they are what Glenda orders. Also Orcheln's had great looking healthy 6 packs for $1.50. I should not have bought anything but I did. I am going to put my seedlings outside in a protected spot, but I see a cold night coming Monday night so I am not planting in the ground. I have to fix my mailbox this morning and can't say what I would like to do to whoever broke it.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

helen, the mailbox bashers are up here too. They tried ours again and got fooled! We bought one of those heavy duty ones and they barely made a dent in it. I hope it dislocated their should when they hit it!

I had a good day today. I did some trimming, cleaned up trimmings and planted out the cabbage, broccoli, lettuce plugs and snaps. I took the salvias out to the cold frame to begin hardening off. Also moved out the digitalis.

I also got the tomatoes transplanted into bigger cups, and did so many lavender plants that the last I just stuck in a clump in a larger pot. I need to do the shastas next.

If I get time, I may plant the onion seedlings tomorrow, cold predicted or not.

Helen, you will love the Candy onions.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I planted out the cabbages, broccoli, lettuce and most of the onion seedling yesterday evening and retilled the whole garden. This morning I worked on henbit again (forgot to pick some to eat)and trimmed the roses. Now need to pick up all the stuff and then mow..........this is a busy time of year, isn't it?

My sugar snap peas are up and the potatoes are starting to come up. I think I will do a few more peas.

What is going on with you all?

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

Yes, it is a very busy time. I'm making a new hosta bed -- now I won't have to mow that corner or trim around the trees. I'll post a photo when I finish.

Planted my hardy herbs out, planted more spinach plants, more lettuce, cleaned beds of oak leaves, pulled bunches and bunches of henbit, and mowed with the riding mower. I dread trying to get that push mower started first of spring. It probably needs a new spark plug.

I have to keep reminding myself how early it still is -- the ferns aren't all up yet and azaleas are just starting to bloom. Even so, I bought a four-pack of Big Beef yesterday as well as one of Beefmaster. The (leggy) Aunt Gertie's I cut off is now restarting from the node on the stem ! and I have the top rooted as well. Plus the four heirlooms I bought a couple of weeks ago -- I'm going to have a lot of tomato plants this year! Think I'll dry some of them, can them, and probably give lots away. I have never grown more than 6 so this should be a fun experience.

Sunny

• teeandcee
    15 years ago

****The (leggy) Aunt Gertie's I cut off is now restarting from the node on the stem ! and I have the top rooted as well. ****

Ahhh, good idea. I think I'll do this with mine.

• ceresone
    15 years ago

LOL, Sunny, I am so sorry for you!
    You have now been bitten by the Tomato Bug, and there isnt a spray, or dust for it. You'll just always find another tomato you just HAVE to try, another flavor you think the next might have...
    I believe the only thing worse, is the Pepper Bug, where you just have to try all the new colors.. Alas, I have both!
    Kidding aside, theres nothing nicer than being able to go to the cabinet for Pizza sauce, Tomato Sauce, or Salsa, and not the store,
    . Best of Luck.

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

Well I don't know about any one else but I was very busy this weekend.
    I crawled around on my knees an planted flowers all afternoon Saturday. Then again most of the day today.
    Then went down and dug and planted out 25 shrubs that had to first be dug out from the holding bed in order to be moved down to there permanent home. I still have 10 more of these to plant out yet. I was just too tired to do any more.
    I'm not sure if I will be able to move if I stop moving now though, lol.
    I plan on working in the vegetable beds this week in between raining spells.
    Well of to hit the showers and hope I don't fall asleep in there.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I planted some of the stuff I got at the plant sale at Nathaniel Green Park Saturday. The most expensive plant was $5, a white fringe tree. I got big clumps of grass for $1.50. They had marked things down 50% for late people like me. I am sure I missed some good plants but I just can't get there early. I would recommend that sale to anyone within driving distance. I hope we do get this rain that is forecast.

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Tomato Bug got me for sure, ceresone!!! I'm going to have to put the two heirlooms I bought today in a perinneal bed. I bought Brandywine and Pink Caspian. Except for my peppers and maybe a couple eggplant, I think I'm finished with the vegetable bed buying. I have a million plants to put out and this week with all the rain seems like a good time.

My fern/hosta bed is coming along, but slowly as I have to kill the grass with cardboard sheets. (Drat! that's the best grass in the yard and my dad would just kill me for abusing his bluegrass, but I just can't mow in that corner well). I don't want to use Round-Up, even though it would be much easier and smarter. I have a Russian Olive tree, white viburnum, and two weigelas (lime foilage, raspberry colored flowers) which will be in that bed (sun part). At least I got all those 12 inch patio stones put in, and that was a job!! I found reblooming daylilies and a reblooming azalea for the sun part as well. I hope it turns out like I envision, but if not, there's always next year to tweak things.

What's everyone else doing?
    Sunny

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Helen, I want to go to that sale so badly! My sis was in from Iowa and we just got to go to the local greenhouse for the Open House. I am just sick I missed the Nathaniel Green one. They all seem to have them on the same weekend....not a smart move!

I did buy an aronia 'Brilliantissima', a Concord grape vine, a white trillium, another clematis, The President (got it home and think I already have one!)will plant it where the Will Goodwin died last year, some dark burgundy colored vining geraniums for the porch basket and some geraniums for MIL for Mother's Day. Also got a little 4 pack of her dark purple perfume nicotiana. She swears it is fragrant. Will let you know. Almost forgot the American Bittersweet vine.

Been raining here so we did errands and all I did outside was put all the plants in flats with drainage so they wouldn't float away.

The tomatoes are getting too leggy and so are the peppers.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had neglected the asparagus and finally got out last evening and cut it. I lost probably 2 lbs that was way too big, but got another 2 lbs. It is weedy as all get out.

I think I can finally clean out the berry patch. I was afraid too before because I couldn't tell the dead from the new, all were reddish looking. It is looking like I last a bunch which is OK. I see lots of sprouts coming up way too far out. I may try to relocate them somewhere. Looks like a few raspberries survived.

The strawberries are beginning to bloom. Hoping no late freezes now.

This warm weather is making me think about planting early..............maybe a few things anyway.

Helen, is it too early to plant the Four O'clock seeds?

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Well, I have 3 garden beds built--They are expensive. Oh well, in time I'll have them all in. They are averaging about $110. apiece, and thats not counting what it will cost to fill. I made one with a higher back, and when its ready, it will have glass on a slant (south) for a hot bed in the spring--or to overwinter whatever.
    I moved all the house plants out on the deck this morning, hoping they get a nice drink of water--always glad to move them out.
    My tomatoes and peppers are on the deck too, getting leggy also, but I just dont trust the weather yet, been here awhile.
    I'll try to find a way to get pictures of the beds when I'm done (next year?).
    Hope everyone gets nice rains, without flooding.

• helenh
    14 years ago

Glenda frost will kill four o clocks outside. I think by the time the seeds come up, danger of frost will be over. I had too many coming up everywhere earlier and the cold killed them. More seedlings will come up and the plants will come from last year's roots. The trouble with purchased seed is you just get a few seeds. Mine reseed so much because the plants make tons of seed. I have planted a few tomatoes with walls of water around them. Those work but are kind of a pain to fill up and place without crushing the tomato.

• helenh
    14 years ago

Ceresone I sure would like to see a picture of those new beds. The slanted one sounds like a great idea.

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Well, I changed my mind about the cardboard on that corner grass. I just felt so bad about it that I picked it all up. I guess I'll plant the stuff anyway and then mow with the push mower. When I took it up I knew it was the right thing to do.

Bought six chard plants yesterday as well as four Ichoban eggplant. I have the seed for both but will just hold that until next spring.

I bought a Fantasy maple the other day and will plant that out today where I was going to put the honey locust.

I'm enjoying all your posts. Can't feel too sorry for myself with all the work to do, because you all have bunches of work as well. Must get the yard mowed this AM before it rains -- again. I think we are supposed to have rain every day.

Sunny

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tired already.

Went out to survey my kingdom (and take some pics) and saw disease and aphids on hollyhocks, fuzzy black/brown worm on rudbeckias and heliopsis, some more
    RRD on roses and a couple of peonies look weird.

If you are stricly organic, please stop here!

I mixed up some systemic spray and hit them all with it.

I am sitting here enjoying the Orioles on the porch about 4 feet from where I am sitting. The Martins seem to have left. I hope more come along. I don't know what happened.

I got my feet soaking wet which I hate. I should have put on my knee boots.

Lots of iris are budded. I am getting anxious to see what I have.

I was delighted to see the divisions of the B & B Salvia that I planted in the Grass Bed by the cellar are finally coming up! I thought sure they were goners.

I am probably through for the day unless I get up enough energy to go out to the barn and plant some more flower seeds in flats.

ceresone, I am really wanting to see those beds too. How many do you want to end up with?

• teeandcee
    14 years ago

Well, I've been using Roundup on the grass in my shade bed so don't feel too badly about that spray. Sometimes you do whatcha gotta do. I'm using cardboard over most of the other grass that needs killing (acres compared to what I Roundupped) to make up for my Roundup sins though.

I saw a gorgeous hosta today at Lowes. It's one with lots of narrow leaves. I think I'll pick one up tomorrow along with some evergreens. I'm really liking the look of evergreens as a contrast to my roses and other small-leaved shrubs.

• southerngardenchick
    14 years ago

Hey everyone! Who else is sloggy? lol...

I cannot believe this RAIN. It's like the weather knows I want to be outside doing stuff and is trying to stop me! Ain't working... I've been playing in the mud. LOL!

Before the rain started... I went ahead and planted my hot peppers. YEAH, I KNOW, TOO EARLY... but honestly they're doing pretty well! The area I put them in is draining off very well.. and I've got things to cover them with when it gets colder the next few nights. I've also been digging out the prickly pear cactus out of my soon to be flower bed, it's easier when the ground is wet! Seems a slight shame, the cactus is getting new growth on it... might plant a chunk of it elsewhere cuz I feel bad about getting rid of it totally... lol! Other than that... I'm just gazing out the window wishing it would quit raining so I can till up the rest of my beds. Another week of rain??? UGH.

Hope all is well with you guys!

Beth

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rain again yesterday and early this morning........enough already!

I wonder if the beet seeds will be buried now?

My ground is very soggy and you can bury up to the ankle in the mole runs.........

I got bored so planted some more seeds for under the lights and found that I have lost my melampodium seeds. I will be going through my seeds again this morning looking for them. I don't know how I do that. I need a better organization method. Any advice out there?

• helenh
    14 years ago

I spend half my time looking for lost stuff. My house is cluttered because I want to go outside all the time. When company comes I throw it in a basket or in a closet and forgot what I did with it.

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

I have a bad habit of putting a package into my pocket on the way to pot some seeds up. Well I get side tracked w/some other prodject and forget them in my pocket. An more than one package has gone through the washer. funny thing is a few times I have went ahead an planted them an had some sprouts come up any way. Not the normal amount but still quite amazing after being run w/tide.
    So no no real secret to pass on for seed organization. I keep mine in a basket that has a compartment on each side w/a handle in the middle. They still get misplaced : )
    Since it is raining here yet again. I think I will run to town and get a few things done. Maybe it will stop by the time I get back. HOPE.
    Bonnie

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I do that too Bonnie. I think I have checked all pockets, but will do it again to make sure.

I went through my two boxes and didn't find them yesterday. I am so annoyed; I love those melampodiums for edging...may just have to live with my vinca and marigolds.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets