Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Clearance bargains from the late freeze

christie_sw_mo
16 years ago

In Springfield - Lowe's on the north side has lots of plants on clearance. They keep adding to it. I haven't been to the one on the south side yet but would like to check it out too. Super Center north had just a few things on clearance and I bought a couple six packs of annual salvia for 84 cents each.

Is anyone finding clearance anywhere else? Have you picked up any bargains?

Comments (5)

• peaceofmind
    16 years ago

I went to the Master Gardeners plant sale at the OTC campus between Nixa and Ozark this morning. There were hundreds of customers. I thought the selection was fairly ordinary. I'm sure there were lots of happy novice gardeners because prices were very reasonable, $1 to $5 for the most part. Most plants didn't have much ID other than iris, daylily, etc. They had lots of nice labeled tomato plants. I'm just feeling kind of grouchy today about everything so maybe others had a better experience. I am going to a neighborhood bbq this afternoon which means I have to clean my fingernails, wash my feet, and smile and be social all evening. I'd rather be gardening. ;-(

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

I think "ordinary" is relative to the buyer. It's only Christian County's second year for a plant sale and keep in mind the weather wiped out a lot of things that would normally have been potted up, and their group is smaller than other counties. I found a great deal on assorted herbs. They had a good selection of houseplants, shade plants, sun plants, and general garden related items. You also have to be the first in line to get first pick. There wasn't anything I saw that wasn't labeled with the plant name. What information were you wanting? The plants were categorized by sun, shade, etc.

What is it exactly that you were looking for peaceofmind?

They had some freshly harvested, dried, dark green bamboo poles that I haven't seen anywhere in the last 7 years.

Try the Greene County Master Gardener Plant Sale next week
    Rain or shine Saturday, April 28
    7:30 a.m. sharp
    Under a large tent at the back of Nathanael Greene Park
    (Japanese Garden Parking Lot)

There are shrubs, small trees, bulbs, perennials, annuals, grasses, ground covers, herbs, aquatic plants, houseplants, seeds, magazines and a selection of garden-related items.

The park is at 2400 S. Scenic Ave. (south of West Sunshine Street) in Springfield (follow signs).

Priced to beat local garden center prices.

Also there will be Reforest the Ozarks. They are providing an opportunity to purchase new red and white oak trees at the discount rate of $10 each. This includes a five gallon bag of mulch per tree from the City of Springfield Public Works Department. This is the perfect opportunity to help you reforest your yard after the loss of trees in the area from the January ice storm. Each tree is approximately 5-foot tall and is valued at approximately $20.

Cash only will be accepted. Participants also can make a donation to the Springfield-Greene County Park Board to help replace trees lost throughout the city-county metropolitan parks system.

City Utilities of Springfield and The University of Missouri Extension Service will provide information about choosing the right trees and planting information for residential properties.

The University of Missouri Extension Service will have experts on hand with advice about your gardening questions.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

I have'nt had a chance to go looking. Guess i missed out this time.
    vickie

• lambeaufan71
    16 years ago

Violet, or anyone else who's been to Greene County's sale -

have you noticed many varieties of grafted Acer palmatums available at this event?

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

lambeaufan71,

There have been a couple of nice Japanese Maples at the sale that I know of in the past few years, not many. They were sold via silent auction. Whether they were grafted I do not know.

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator