Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeandcee_gw

What are your gardening plans this year?

teeandcee
11 years ago

I'm planning on using more annuals. Last year I put in some melampodium, red salvia, and lime green potato vine and really enjoyed them. My mom and I are going to Wickman's today to look around. I think I'll put in some shade annuals too this year.

Of course, what I really should be doing is weeding but that's no fun!

Comments (7)

• mosswitch
    11 years ago

I need to get up to Springfield to Wickmans, hope they have the annual Ruby Grass this year.

I'm busy planting perennials, got a shipment of hostas coming today so I'm kinda hanging around the house waiting for UPS. Pulling weeds so I can see where to plant things!

We have a couple of new hosta beds, and I want to plant some more Japanese maples. Also going to put in a stone bubbler fountain by the deck, and make some more concrete stepping stones.

Mostly just tweaking the plants we already have, moving around, filling spaces. Reseeding perennials have pretty much filled the pots I had for annuals, so I am just going to fill in here and there with a few petunias, etc.

Using lots of succulents this year, and I planted hosta seeds last fall so I have a few hundred baby hostas this spring to grown on in the next 3-5 years so I can see what they are going to look like when they grow up! Lots of fun!

Sandy

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

I have quite a few perennial seedlings that need to be planted and I want to use them to fill in bare spots. Hoping if I plant stuff thicker it will help keep the weeds at bay.

I plant annuals every year too. I especially love having zinnias for the butterflies. I saved lots of zinnia seeds last year but haven't started any yet. They say not to plant them in the same spot every year so I may need to make a new area for those.

Last year was a watering nightmare. I need to move some plants around so things aren't scattered from one end of my yard to the other. (I say this every year)

Let us know what you get at Wickman's. I made a trip there a week or so ago and bought a phlox stolonifera 'Sherwood Purple'. I'm a bit worried about how wide it's going to spread though and not sure where to put it.

• helenh
    11 years ago

I have work to do where the big walnut tree was removed. There is a bare spot there and some stepping stones in that area were moved and broken. I need to prepare that area for grass. Right now I am just trying to get my tomatoes potted in slightly bigger containers and planted gradually as I prepare holes in the garden. I have almost pure creek gravel with barn dirt on top; it drains too well. If I can I dig big holes and put in better soil. Later I am sure I will just go ahead and plant them in the rocks.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I didn't get anything at Wickmans but saw lots of fun things I wanted. They have some kind of pinkish variegated viney thing (for pots, nothing huge) that I want for my shaded back patio. I did see a sambac jasmine I wanted at Lowes. It said it blooms all summer, but I wanted to do some research before spending the $$. It does indeed bloom all summer so I'm probably going today to get one. It smells like orange blossoms to me. MMMmmmm.

• helenh
    11 years ago

I had some kind of jasmine for a house plant that would put our a few blooms in winter. Just a few flowers blooming made my hall smell good.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

I kept sambac jasmine as a houseplant for awhile too. The one I had was 'Maid of Orleans'. I love the way that stuff smells. Go get it Teeandcee. : )
    You can put it outside in the summer and bring it in through the winter.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did get the jasmine sambac today, Christie! MMMMmmmm! It'll stay out on my patio all summer and I'll bring it in this winter. I'm hoping, like Helen's, it'll smell up where it ends up.

By the way, the jasmine was at Wickmans, not Lowes.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz