Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ceresone

Horseradish looks Strange!

ceresone
15 years ago

My 6 horseradish roots are coming up(so is my rhubarb) and of the 6, 4 have leaves that look like a fern, while the other 2 have leaves like polk. Wondering if this is normal, or perhaps I have different types, despite the labeling?

Comments (10)

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I wouldn't know a horseradish plant from anything. I have never know anyone to grow it or seen it growing anywhere.

May I ask what your plans are for it?

• ceresone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sure, I plan on grinding it down, and mixing with vinegar--least I think thats the way its done-next year when its ready, I'll have to find out for sure. My SIL and I love it on beef-and I understand it can be mixed with mayonaise for fish.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I've never grown it before either.

Here's a couple photos of young plants to compare. These two look different to me.

http://www.tastefulgarden.com/store/pc/Horseradish-plants-2p349.htm

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mNLbDgoWF9U/SOBOQp6QNTI/AAAAAAAAAYk/pg-SWBE0dLY/s400/2896799839_562d7c09ef.jpg

I need to learn how to make that clickable so people won't have to copy and paste the line to the top. Sorry

Is horseraddish perennial? When I was looking for photos, someone's blog said early spring horseraddish sprouts were good.

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

ceresone- i have planted 3 and all are up. my foilage looks like a rugose polk. think the variety is bohemian.

this plant is a perennial and could become invasive. mine are in containers and am hoping they will be ready by this fall.

william

• ceresone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wm, I planted 6--in a large--extra large barrel. I was told it would be next year before I should harvest, wrong?
    These are supposed tp be the same variety (Bohemian) but since they were in 2 seperate packages, maybe not.
    Suppose I shall never know, since I dont know what it SHOULD look like.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

OK!
    Maybe I am a bit late, but tomorrow I am going to plant some horseradish from store-bought stuff. I Carefully chose one with a lot of eyes. So, I am going to cut it to several pieces such that each piece has at least one eye. I Am going to start them in pots and when rooted, grown leaves will transfer them to garden.

I like horseradish better than mustard. A true pure mustard would have a similar taste. I like to blend the two (mustard and horseradish). ADD some tomato paste to it and you have a shrimp cocktail souce. Horseradish goes well with the surf and turf. And in my book it is a must with oysters and clams on the half shell. So basically, you can use horseradish where/when you use mustard. Most mustars are mixed with a lot of stuff, like turmeric, vinegar,sugar, this and that. So to me having home grown horseradish is second to none. Add some to mayo for sandwiche.
    When you have cold and nasal, head conjestion consume horseradish. It is better than VICKS and eucalyptus.

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

Horseradish leaves don't resemble ferns at all. I suspect you've got something else in there. Baby seedling leaves look like miniature versions of the adult leaves. Narrow, elongated, pointy leaves.

• ceresone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

After one of these bloomed, I dug it up.
    Yes, its one of the roots they shipped me-long, thin, white roots. But-definetly something else, when I broke it, it didnt smell like horseradish.
    Same with the other one. So--I guess somewhere there's a gardener more mixed up than me-but at least I'm not growing for a seed supply!
    The other 4 are more than enough anyway, and they're doing fine.

• edible
    14 years ago

My horseradish plant has both types of leaves, they start out kind of like a fern, then look more like the above.

I planted it early last year, this year, probably early March, we dug up a piece of the root. We just put the shovel in the ground and split it. I don't think we hurt it at all by harvesting. I have also heard how agressive they can be, so far have not noticed a problem.

Grated and used the fresh hoseradish on a beef short ribs recipe that I have and it was fabulous as usual.

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

edible,

Would love to see a photo. There are different varieties of horseradish.
    I've never seen any type of fern leaf on mine.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction