Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeandcee_gw

Spfd Botanical Garden Part 3, image heavy

teeandcee
12 years ago

April 27, 2011. Last set of pics.

I know what this is but am coming up blank. Pics here or online do not do it justice. It's absolutely gorgeous and the blooms glow. I've been considering it for my shade garden and after seeing it in real life I'm getting some.

Little Bluestem grass.

Gorgeous blue columbines.

Columbines in sun garden.

Pretty patch of chives in the veggie garden.

Unknown garden section. The Hillbilly Garden Club garden is located here.

Allium close-up in above garden section.

Comments (12)

• helenh
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the pictures. I woke up sick this morning so I don't know if I'll go to the sale or not. I do not get up early enough to drive to Springfield and be there early. Your pictures make me want to go. If I'm late for the sale, I would still enjoy the garden.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sorry you're feeling bad, Helen. Hopefully the cheery flowers and sunny weather are at least making it easier to deal with. :)

I'm going to try to remember to bring my camera and will post a few pics of the sale.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

The first one is pulmonaria, if you haven't remembered yet. I want to go to the SPGFLD botanical garden soon, before spring is gone there.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

They may have some blue columbine seedlings at the sale.
    Teeandcee - It looks like all your photos are in the demonstration garden. Did you get to walk down to the other gardens?

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mosswitch, it came to me last night suddenly, lol.

Christie, I did get what I think are those blue columbines at the sale today. They weren't blooming and only ID'ed as "native blue columbine." We'll see.

I finally found the shrub garden but didn't go. I plan to make it to the shrub and Japanese stroll garden before spring is over. Actually I plan on thoroughly exploring the whole place at that time. With my camera.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

I walked around part of the garden today after the sale. I mostly wanted to see the iris garden. I always miss them, either too late or too early. There were some blooming today but I don't think they are at their peak yet.

If you have time and energy Teeandcee, try to make your way all the way around the lake. Most of the gardens are north of the lake but it's a nice walk and such a pretty view from the other side. There's a newish conifer garden with a little bridge along the path southeast of the lake that you can't see unless you walk around that way.

You can feed the koi in the Japanese Stroll Garden. I can't remember if we bought fishfood at the entrance or if they had quarter machines like they do at the zoo.

I meant to comment that the close-up of the allium is amazing! It's so clear.

• helenh
    12 years ago

The gardens are not showy yet. It is still interesting to me at all stages. I think you do have to go often or you miss some jewels that are done when the other plants are at their height. The hosta garden is looking good. I don't have children but love the two new playground features with rubber surface underneath. I saw Christie's butterfly that eats only paw paw.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Christie, it finally occurred to me to look up the park on Mapquest using the satellite option and I've missed fully half of the park! The other gardens are over by the lake, right? Until you mentioned it I had no idea there was a lake.

Helen, I enjoy gardens in all stages too.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Cool! I'd never thought to look at it on satellite. You did miss a lot. You gotta go back. : )
    If you walk south toward the lake from the new building, you'll see the gardens.
    Looking at the satellite map, you can see some odd geometric shapes over on the right. That's the grass garden, butterfly garden, iris, and lilies. Way over on the left, you can also see a little circle by a parking lot. That's the rose garden. There's a hosta garden close to the rose garden that doesn't show up because of the trees. Way over east of the lake, there's a conifer garden if you follow the trail far enough. It shows up on the satellite image also.
    The main path that goes around the lake is wide. The path that branches off from that and goes toward the butterfly garden is narrower and used to be easy to miss but I think there's a sign pointing toward it now.

I'll link the map below in case someone else wants to see a bird's eye view. You can zoom in.

Here is a link that might be useful: Google satellite of Nathanael Greene/Close Park

• Violet_Z6
    12 years ago

Hi all,

Great Photos!

The Botanical Center and Gardens are part of the 114 acre Nathanael Greene:Close Memorial Park. There are 26 gardens in the park. The Dwarf Conifer garden was completed around August of Last year. We have a new Azalea Garden that was completed within the last month. You can see it between the Botanical Center and the Japanese Stroll Garden.

You can find out all about the gardens in the park and events at the park, and see a detailed map of the gardens with descriptions at friendsofthegarden.org.

http://www.friendsofthegarden.org/discover/visit/map-of-gardens

{{gwi:1110229}}

teeandcee, how would you like your own photo album at the Friends of the Garden photo gallery?

Here is a link that might be useful: Map of the Gardens

• Violet_Z6
    12 years ago

helenh,

Showy is in the eye of the beholder. A gardener will find beauty even in the dead of winter! There are many plants currently at the peak of their bloom at the gardens right now. Be sure to check out the poppies at the Xeriscape Garden.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'd love it, Violet! How do I do that?

You know, I answered this already. I think some of my posts have disappeared.