Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

cold weather

helenh
10 years ago

They are predicting cold weather Thursday and Friday. I am ready to plant my sale annuals but I will probably wait. I am out of wall of water covers so I can't plant tomatoes either. There are lots of weeds to pull and maybe after I do that there will be places to stick my annuals. If we do have another frost check the sale rack at Lowe's. Last time I found lots of nipped but not hopeless plants.

Comments (8)

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

Helen, I hear you -- I'm tempted to plant my larger tomatoes today and then put big pots on them when it gets cold. They have to be in the garage on the car trunk during the chilly temps, otherwise. I think here it's expected to go to 38-36, but not freezing. Hope the peach blossoms get through this.

I have heard you can hose spray everything with fine mist just after the sun comes up and save a lot of things that might have gotten frozen. Is this true?

I will be soooo glad when this winter is finally done!
    Sunny

• helenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have outdoor sensors for my thermometers attached on the porch post and another place on the outside of the house. Last week when frost was threatened my thermometers read 40 and my truck was covered with frost. That same night I went out later to cover my lettuce in a box that I had forgotten. The thermometers read 37 or 38 but my garden was sparkling with frost. I don't know what level they mean when they make the forecasts. Just a few feet can make a difference in the temp plus I need to get the thermometer sensors off the house.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

Helen and Sunny, same concern here. The last time the forcast was for 37 degrees, I had a frost that got some plants. Holding off planting the peppers and tomatoes until the cold from moves through. Good luck to you both.

• helenh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would cover your plants with the pots and then put a sheet over that. I planted too many tomato plants and they are too big and some get too wet or too dry because it is hard to take care of them now that they are too big for their pots. I have them in a dog kennel covered with a clear tarp. If it gets too cold they will have to come back inside.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

Helen, I lost two tomato plants in the last cold snap in the raised bed under a low tunnel of plastic. I am going to do some extra cover over them this time.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    10 years ago

Just looked at the forcast and they are now saying 33 degrees Friday night. Good grief!!

• christie_sw_mo
    10 years ago

The lowest forecast I've seen for me is 35 and if it doesn't get colder than that, my yard will be ok I think. I must be in a relatively high spot because I usually don't get frost unless the official temp is around 32 or 33.
    I haven't planted any annuals yet but my little Balaton Cherry has/had quite a few blooms this year and I would hate to lose those. It's getting big enough that it would be difficult to cover. I also have a Goumi Sweet Scarlet that was LOADED with little flowers. It should have a lot of fruit.

• ceresone
    10 years ago

I was taught frost at 38, freeze at 32- not always-but I think of that.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County