Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulberry in the Ozarks

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 9:59

Yesterday afternoon, UPS delivered a mulberry that I ordered. I'm still uncertain whether it was wise to get one. I ordered my Goumi from Burnt Ridge and I couldn't stand to order just one thing, so I added on the mulberry at the last minute. It's called Silk Hope and supposed to have large tasty berries of course. Seedless too.
I know they stain so I'll plant it at the corner of my yard to keep it away from the sidewalk and driveway. I've considered planting it along the edge of the field to get it even further away though. I just hate to spend that much money on it and then plant it back where it's difficult to keep it watered.
We had a wild mulberry before the ice storm but I don't think I ever even tried the berries. I can't look at them without thinking of purple bird poop. lol Hoping with a named variety I can develope a liking for them. If so, it should be an easy to grow, no-spray fruit I think.
Has anyone else tried a named variety? Do you like wild mulberries?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulberry in the Ozarks

I like wild mulberries. They are sweet but don't have the sour component of other berries. I have a wild mulberry too close. It is old and has lost branches. It used to drop fruit which brought insects and I would step on the fruit and have purple on my shoes. I liked the tree anyway because the birds loved it and I feed birds. I don't know anything about the improved kind. Just put it where the fallen fruit will not cause a problem and yes you will have purple bird poop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here