Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeandcee_gw

ALL my garden beds are mulched/edged- image heavy

teeandcee
13 years ago

Last year my garden beds were over run by weeds. I had some health issues and was unable to keep on top of it. So, this year we decided to pay someone to mulch and edge them. I'm SO excited. I'm also kind of taken aback. Since the mulch has been put in I can see how BIG my beds are and how sparsely planted. I'm going to do a big Bluestone order soon.

Isn't the red twig dogwood gorgeous against the dark mulch? It really is that bright. That's the lime-colored shrub in the corner. I know I need to pull the mulch back from the plants.

Pay no attention to the arrows. That's just where I was showing someone a curve I marked that I may change.

Comments (9)

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

That looks wonderful! Very neat looking. Wish my flowerbeds looked so good.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Christie. I celebrated by buying several perennials today. :) I just hope a million weeds don't sprout in all this fresh mulch. :X

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I like that dark brown mulch. What is it?

As long as you keep adding mulch now and then, a lot of your garden work will be over. Isn't that wonderful.

Remember, Bluestone will usually have a fall sale...............

• mulberryknob
    13 years ago

So beautiful. You hired someone. That's what I need to do. DH and I stay so busy in the veggie garden and orchard that we don't get around to my flower beds.

I hope you didn't have weedmatting installed under that mulch. I learned the hard way that the only mulch that works over weedmatting is gravel. Any organic mulch breaks down on top of the fabric and creates a lovely seedbed for winter weeds--chickweed, henbit, early violets, and their roots are harder to get out of the matting than they are in plain old dirt under mulch. AND it won't stop bermuda.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm not sure what this mulch is. I just told the guy I wanted the dark brown stuff and he brought it in by the truckful.

Mulberry, gosh no, I didn't put that weed block down. I've used it before and will never again make that mistake. Hubby wanted to but I talked him out of it.

Plus I've still got a lot of planting to do.

If anyone is local and interested we used Green Leaf (two words-not the Greenleaf with legal troubles) in Springfield. We're really pleased with their service and prices (they're also mowing our lawn now, yahoo!).

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Leaf

• helenh
    13 years ago

It looks very neat. You can just dig a hole and plant those new plants. I buy plants and have no where to put them. Also you can plan colors and sizes since it looks like you have space. That fence will be great for your clematis.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Helen. I'm really enjoying just digging holes and planting! I really didn't realize it was bothering me so much, all those weeds, I mean.

• janie1979
    12 years ago

Nice looking beds. I've been looking at that same brick border at Lowe's and now I think I've made up my mind to go get it. Thanks for posting the pics.

• teeandcee
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Janie, it's very pretty down and you can make wonderful curves with it. I could have done waves and much sharper curves. In fact, I wish I'd done big waves like the guy suggested.