Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asparagus

Posted by jessaka 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 7, 10 at 10:26

What is the best type of asparagus to grow here? Does it have to be hybred. I am not too keen on hybred plants. And where can you order the plants? Thanks. (I seem to have thrown out all my organic catalogs thinking they would send more this spring.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asparagus

Jessica. My asparagus is a hybrid. UC157, mostly male planting that I raised from seed many years ago. I ordered the seed from Porter and Sons out of Texas but don't know if they are still in business. The advantage to hybrid asparagus is that you will get more harvest. The spears will be larger and there will be more of them. Another hybrid is Jersey Giant. But if you don't want hybrid I have seen the old Martha Washington for sale in some catalogs. You could probably do a search and find somebody selling it.

o

thanks dorothy. i will check out martha washington.

o

Jersey King is what I grow and they don't disappoint. They are male plants and don't set seed, so the energy goes back to the plant rather than promoting more plants.
This variety is in most mail catalogs. I wouldn't have Martha Washington again.
Good luck.
Sunny

o

You can find asparagus in garden centers. I saw some today in Joplin at the Botany Shop. They had it in a cooler wrapped in a bundle with a rubber band. Wal-mart has it in bags but they have been there since very early spring and you can't see inside the bag.

o

thanks. i finally got some at atwoods and got them planted today. will see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here