Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aniseb

OT: something from the smaller homes forum

peaceofmind
17 years ago

I thought you all might be interested in this description of homes in the UK.My questions were prompted by her comment that 700 sq feet wasn't considered particularly small in the UK. I had no idea that american homes were so huge by comparison. The first part is my letter and then her answer.

If you want to read the whole thread it is on the Small Homes forum under the subject of 700 sq ft of inspiration. Even their beds must be smaller than ours if they fit in a 7x7 bedroom.

I hope you don't mind the OT. Anise

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Competa, I'm so intrigued by your description of homes in the UK. What are the size of the rooms in a 700 sq ft house? You mentioned three bedrooms and I just can't imagine that. My daughter and her husband live in a 710 sq ft house. It has two tiny bedrooms, one closet, a tiny bathroom, living room,and a kitchen not even big enough for a kitchen table. It is very cute and comfortable for them.

If 700 sq ft is normal what would be considered a big house? Do you have family rooms, dining rooms, or more than one bathroom?

I hope I don't sound rude. I'm just curious about how other people live.

o

RE: 700 sq. ft. of inspiration!

clip this post email this post what is this?

see most clipped and recent clippings

* Posted by competa (My Page) on

Wed, Apr 11, 07 at 5:35

Hi Peaceofmind - A typical 700 sq ft house would have a lounge about 14 ft by 11ft, a kitchen-diner about 15 ft by 8ft and a small cloakroom downstairs. (D/S cloakrooms have been a legal requirement in new-build homes for the last three or four years). Upstairs there would be three bedrooms, the largest about 10 ft by 11ft and the smallest being about 7ft square. There would be no built-in wardrobes either!! Bathroom would be 6ft square MAX. and, in most new builds nowadays, a tiny en-suite around 6ft by 3ft. En suites usually have shower cubicle, wc and washbasin but may have just shower and basin or wc and basin. The dimensions of the house will be in the region of 15 feet wide (with the kitchen diner stretching across the back) and between 20 and 22 feet from back to front.

I have managed to find a floorplan for a 2 bedroom house currently being built close to our home, the dimensions of which are: Kitchen/dining room 13f5 ins by 8 ft11ins, living room 13.9ft by 10.9ft - including stairs to first floor - tiny cloakroom adjacent to front door. First floor: Bed 1 9.11 x 12ft, ensuite (size unspecified but must be tiny!) Bed 2 6.11 x 10.9 ins. Bathroom unspecified size. The square footage of this house is 614. Purchase price starting from in the region of 150,000 depending on size of plot/position and whether the house is terraced, end-terrace, semi detached or detached.

You ask what would be considered a big house. Well, as in the US, the sky really is the limit! However, as a guidline, new build four bedroom homes start around 1050sq ft - this would usually comprise a lounge, small separate dining room and kitchen around 10ft x 8. Downstairs cloakroom, four bedrooms (two doubles, two singles) master maybe with fitted wardrobes, and en suite.

The scarcity and price of building land ensures plot sizes are seldom generous either!

Family rooms, additional bathrooms and eat-in kitchens do feature in larger properties but the average Brit could neither afford to purchase or maintain such homes.

The houses I've referred to are new builds. We do, of course, have countless older properties which, in general, tend to be larger than new homes.

The majority of homes do not have garages. Very few homes have the benefit of a basement area either.

If you would like more details, please drop me a line and I'll do my best to answer any questions.

Thanks for your interest.

o

Comments (4)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio