Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspeachyn5

who is responsible

jspeachyn5
16 years ago

can anyone tell me who would be responsible for ruts in my yard/right of way? During the last ice storm when the power crews were working the sank a truck in the right of way/yard. They had to be pulled out. Then a couple of weeks ago the cable company laid cable under ground and above. the man doing the underground didn't hardly make any mess at all. How ever the man doing the above left huge ruts in my yard/right of way. the power trucks are to my knee, the cable are half way to my knee. Who is supposed to fix this? as well as the trees they left where they fell? that weren't from my trees? This is going to be a lot of work for me to do alone. Should I have to? Help.

Bonnie

Comments (7)

• razorback33
    16 years ago

Usually the County is responsible for maintaining Right of Way. I would contact the Commissioner that represents you and explain the situation and ask for assistance(act helpless!) in having the damage repaired and the area restored to it's original condition. Be sure to point out that the deep ruts will retain water and that Mosquito season is just around the corner(Health Hazard!).
    If the trees and limbs were cut by the Utilities, then it is their responsibility to have them removed. If they were broken by ice or wind, then I'm afraid you will have to handle that. Maybe you could enlist the aid of the tree owners to help! If the trees were/are on the Right of Way, then the County should remove them.
    Good Luck!
    Rb

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Hope it was just an oversight and they will still fix it for you Bonnie. Your local utility company may have hired out-of-town help if there was a lot of clean-up to do after the ice storm and maybe you just got lost in the shuffle. Try calling your county highway department or your utility company. Either one should be able to tell you who to call. Are you inside the city limits?

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks. Yes I am in the city. Moved into town a few years back for health reasons. Also was much closer to the hospital and Dr.. when needed. I will try calling all of these people on Monday. everyone keep your fingers crossed. I cleaned up every thing in my yard and area w/help from son in-law. Just couldn't bring myself to ask him to help clean up the person next doors mess. Oh you know the type, mows maybe 3 times a year when they can't see their little dog through the grass when they let them out. lol. junk and trash all over their yard. Nope don't see any help from that quarter. Bu I will try calling all the wonderful resources you have all brought to me. Thanks.
    Looks to be a beautiful daly. I need to go out side and do a few things and then get back in here and work on....TAXES. oh how I really don't like that job. oh well it falls into that category of it will happen like death. lol
    Bonnie

• missfourseasons
    16 years ago

Good Luck, Bonnie! You have a strong case for some kind of assistance and I hope you get it! Keep everyone posted...

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well it's a good thing I didn't hold my breath.
    the cable company finally came out this week and fixed the ruts in the lower yard. It still isn't great but hay at least I can mow, very carefully.
    Still no word form anyone about help w/the downed trees.
    Bonnie

• bunny6
    15 years ago

You are not responsible for the trees or ruts. If you live in the city, they contract all their work out. Call the city maintenance dept. and find out who does their contract work for the city. Call the company and request that they dispose of the trees. If that does not work, then call the mayor. It ussually gets the ball rolling. I know I have had this problem many times.

The last time a new natural gas line was put across the front of my yard and the gas company left a horrible mess, so I called them and of course they promise to fix but did not, so I called the mayor. The company fixed my yard and even seeded it. Now you can't even tell that a pipeline was put in. Be nice and if that does not work then be assertive. Good Luck!
    Ann

• helenh
    15 years ago

I would tell them you moved to town because of health problems. In Joplin volunteers cleared some yards for people who couldn't do it themselves, but that was last spring. It was coordinated by the city. Utilities do want they want, when they want, if they want because you can't do without them. The cable company may care more about its image since people have other options.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting