Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Could this be elderberry?

christie_sw_mo
14 years ago

This is along the edge of my field.

The leaves are soft. Does elderberry have soft leaves?

Comments (8)

• beerhog
    14 years ago

Looks like elderbery to me.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

And to me. The entire plant is soft when young. The stems turn woody later. Watch for the white umbels followed by little black berries. The flowers have a distinctive odor. Once you smell them, you'll know it. In one of Tennessee William's plays, there is a line, "Your mother smells of elder flowers." It was an insult, I think, implying loose morals.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I had to go out and feel mine. I can easily pinch in two a quarter inch thick stem with my thumb and finger. It isn't soft like lamb's ear but it isn't woody. The crushed foliage has unpleasant smell. I like the smell of the flowers though; that is why I keep them because I don't do anything with the berries. I may this year; I looked them up and someone fries the flowers. I thought they were like poke edible sometimes and parts that you have to watch out for. I never knew what part was poison so I haven't tried to use them. I know some people who make jelly with the berries and making wine sounds too hard to do.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

I planted elderberry inside my garden fence which probably wasn't the best place because they do sucker and form colonies. But I wanted them for the berries, which I freeze immediately after picking and use as medicine for colds. In fact, I took some out of the freezer this morn as I have a sore throat/cold. I bring water to a simmer, throw in the berries, turn off the burner and give them 10 min to steep. Then smash the berries with a potato masher and strain the juice. Add the juice of a lemon and a bit of honey and drink. Sometimes I add grape or apple juice to it.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

mulberryknob, I have this growing on the farm so have never tried to move it. Now I have learned a good used for it. Hope the cows haven't mowed it all down.

I bet you have lots of other good tips about natives.

I moved what I thought was elderberry. It turned out to be the very spreading sumac so I cut it down!

• helenh
    14 years ago

The elderberry flowers smell great to me. I am afraid someone with a good sense of smell would have a headache in my yard today. I have viburnum, clove currant, and hyacinths all at once.

• mulberryknob
    14 years ago

I wish I had sumac. The red berried ones make a great lemonade substitute treated just like I described the elderberry. I've been meaning for years to find some and tuck it into an out of the way place.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!
    It has a couple blooms at the top now and they look like the photos I googled. I do remember planting a small elderberry back there a few years ago but didn't think it had survived. I can't even remember where I got it, probably a trade. Where's it's planted, it wouldn't matter if it suckers.
    My sweet old neighbor who passed away a couple years ago told me that elderberries make the best jelly in the world.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!