Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robbins_gw

Baker Creek

robbins
14 years ago

Anyone planning on going to Baker Creek next weekend - Sunday, Monday? We are planning the trip - taking several hundred varieties of heirloom tomatoes, herbs, fruits etc. Always a fun time and great to see people we only see once a year.Lots of good tomato talk! Christine????

Robbins

Bear Creek Farms

Comments (6)

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I didn't realize it was coming up so soon. What an amazing place! Have you been before? Last spring was my first trip there. They were turning cars back because of the mud in the parking area. I hope there's a better plan this year if it rains, and it looks like it might. We asked to drive by just to look and then found a place to park after all. There were still vendors there and customers. I felt sorry for the people that drove a long way and then didn't get to go. Once we parked, there were buildings and tents so the rain wouldn't be a problem, except that you have to wait for a tractor to pull your car out when it's time to leave. lol
    (Don't wear white shoes)
    It was tomato heaven for anyone that's looking for tomatoes. That's what I saw the most of, but lots of people walking around buying stuff regardless of the rain. I can't imagine what a swarm of people there would've been if the weather was good. I looked for Sungold cherry tomatoes but didn't see any.

What kind of fruits will you have?

• robbins
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We've been every year - we take lots of heirloom tomato plants plus other veggies, fruits (raspberries, goji berries, black raspberries, kiwis, figs, etc) and herbs. It's Bear Creek Farms - we'll be in one of the big tents. Now lets go do a sun dance!
    Come introduce yourself.
    Robbins

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

Coming up on at least eight years in a row now... last year was the only muddy year that I recall, so don't be deterred. Each year is a learning experience and I'm sure they'll have more straw down this year to prevent similar issues from last year.

Save some kiwis, figs, & etc for me Robbins!

For a description and schedule of speakers, click on the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: 10th Annual Baker Creek Festival Schedule & Events

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Robins - You're probably very busy this week getting everything ready but if you have time, I'd like to hear what kind of figs (do you have a fig that's hardy for you), kiwis and black raspberries you have.

I think we do need to do a sun dance. It would've taken a LOT of straw last year, we'd gotten so much rain. We watched the tractors trying to pull people out of the lower parking area and the mud was really deep. I think they needed a shuttle service since parking was the only problem. Maybe they can borrow a bus or something next time it's like that. Hopefully it will never happen again though.

I think we went the second day. Is there a long line of people if you get there when it opens the first day?

• robbins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Christie - we'll have Chicago Hardy figs - great for this area since they winter over. They need to be well mulched for the winter and are slow re-emerging in the spring - mine are just now starting to come up. They never become huge trees here as they do in the south or northwest, but instead about 6 or 7' tall bushes with absolutly yummy figs.
    As for Baker Creek - it looks as if Sunday may be showery and Monday clear. Usually Sunday is the big day and Monday much slower. I don't know about the lines waiting to get in as we always have to be there so early to set up and then we are busy and I don't see the road again until the day is over. The mud last year was a mess, but I thought they handled it valiently - I'd have gone and drowned myself in a mudhole!

Christine/violet - I'll hidey hole some kiwis for you - they are sold in a lot of 3 - 2 females and 1 male. My goji from you wintered over and is about 5 feet tall - I'm getting ready to do some cuttings from it. The gogi plants we are bringing are from seeds - I wanted to have a group of different varieties as that is suppose to really up the production. Let me know on the kiwis since we are almost out of them for the year.

• robbins
    Original Author
    13 years ago

See you all at Baker Creek tomorrow!
    Go do a sundance!
    Robbins