Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quietlife3

Frost tonight?

quietlife3
16 years ago

This is my first time posting on this forum - typically I'm in the kitchens/decor section. I'm really glad to have discovered the ozarks specific section as we are planning our second attempt at a garden in our lovely rock soil. It will be great to learn from those who are planting in the same environment.

My question today is about the potential frost forecast for tonight. I do not know which of my plant/trees I should cover. Last year a late frost all but ruined our plants and I don't want that to happen again. My main concern is about my roses and fruit trees. Should they be covered? What about peonies? I really appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• ceresone
    16 years ago

Quietlife, here, we had a frost this morning (Monday morning) but, then another expected tonight.
    Last year was a exception, I havent seen a freeze like that, here, in over 50 years.It took out fruit border to border, and I dont mean just Missouri.
    Most flowers that come up and bloom now are expected to be hardy--thats not to say they wont get a setback, they might-you could cover if you wish.
    The fruit trees? if you have a way to cover them, it sure couldnt hurt-I have 14 new ones I set out in April, The other 26 are blooming, have bloomed, or have small fruit. The strawberries I just put out are blooming, but plants should survive-there isnt really a way to protect them. On another forum, a person is trying to run a sprinkler tonight, his understanding is that wet ground under the trees will help.
    I guess what it all boils down to--if you have very much you cant cover--you pray a lot.

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

Welcome Quietlife - glad you found the Ozarks forum.
    It's supposed to be colder tonight than it was last night but last year it got down in the teens and even things that were covered got frozen.
    If you've put out any annuals already this spring, you need to cover those.
    I'm not sure on the roses, but I think a freeze would slow them down a little but won't kill them or keep them from flowering altogether.
    I don't have any peonies so I can't help you there. Maybe someone else will know.
    I covered my hydrangeas, mums, and a few other things last night. The only annuals I had planted were in a container my porch so I covered that too and just remembered that I never UNcovered it this morning. hmmmm Hope they're ok.

• quietlife3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the response - praying is always good advice! I have a couple flowering bushes with blooms - but I don't see buds yet on any of the roses or peonies - just leaves. The fruit trees have flowered. I guess I will just try to cover as much as I can. Too bad the frost won't kill my weeds!

• christie_sw_mo
    16 years ago

I passed a neighbor's house on the way home this evening that had their peonies covered up with sheets. Did you cover yours?

• quietlife3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, I didn't. But I'm going to run out and do it right now. Thanks for the heads up!

• ceresone
    16 years ago

I have 18 Peonies, and have never covered them, never had any damage. I think Perennials are tough enough to take it.
    Its Tuesday morning, 30 degrees I saw frost yesterday morning, and none this morning, so it might be the cold that nips some-any annuals uncovered would probably be lost. However, I think fruit trees are OK. The forecast this morning shows 6 days into May, with no more frost--when it gets past the 10th--my tomatoes GO OUT!! Along with everything else-Then, ALL I have to worry about is cutworms, bugs, deer, possums, 'coons (I've already caught one o'possum this spring)
    And, forgot to tell you, Welcome, Quietlife, this can be a diverse forum- I may talk about anything, unless I try hard not to.

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Welcome, Quietlife.

We got frost over one of the low fields last night, but my thermometers near the house only showed 35° and I don't see any frost on the yard. I did cover the piddly strawberry patch and moved all potted things into the smokehouse.

I didn't have anything to cover the peonies with; hope the buds survived. This will be the first year for some of them to bloom. Like, Ceresone, I think most perennials survive this kind of temperature.

I will know better when I go out and check everything.

Hope everybody's plants survived and sure hope our local orchards weren't hurt. I don't think they could survive another crop loss.

• oakleif
    16 years ago

The frost did'nt happen here in Johnson Co ARK.thank goodness!!
    Hope everyones plants survived.

Welcome to the forum Quietlife. Glad you found us.
    vickie

• quietlife3
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning! I didn't make it on yesterday to reply. It was a busy day for us. Thanks again for the advice...and for the warm welcome! It looks like all of my plants made it through the other night just fine. I did cover the peonies, just in case, and most of the roses. After I went to bed, I remembered the grape plants, which we just planted last year, but I was too tired to get up and cover them. No problems there, either, as far as I can tell. I didn't see any signs of frost when I went out in the morning, but I wasn't out at the crack of dawn either.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and learning from the more experienced gardeners here. We're newbies, so we can use all the help we can get.

Hope everyone enjoys this nice, warm day!