Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Journal - Last week of April

christie_sw_mo
13 years ago

I'm suffering from withdrawl this morning. I missed the Master Gardener sale. I didn't think of it until about 7:30 and it was raining out so I stayed home. The plants go so quickly. You miss the good stuff unless you get there really early and wait in line. Did anyone go? I think I'm going to have to go plant shopping later today.

My daughter wanted to plant a tree for Earthday so she went to Wickman's with a friend and came home with a Sensation Lilac - not a tree, but some of them were in bloom and her nose wouldn't let her go past them. We still need to get it planted. I don't have any other lilacs so I was happy with her choice.

It's still looking like we're not going to get a late frost this year. Isn't that strange! I think I'll be watching the forecast until June still waiting for it. I can't remember ever NOT having to cover something. There's gotta be a catch.

My purple leaf sandcherries are going to fruit this year. I have two different kinds and their blooms usually don't overlap but they did this year and they have a bunch of little cherries smaller than peas right now. I've never had more than 3 or 4 cherries a year in the past, but have gotten to taste them and really they're pretty good. I need to find a good deal on bird netting for those and for my blueberries.

My daughter and I planted a bunch of glad bulbs that were in a bag in my kitchen cabinet all winter. I didn't expect them to still be good after so long, but most looked alright. I soaked several of the ones that were dried out and dead looking and even some of those were starting to sprout so I planted them all. There were dozens but many were very small and won't bloom this year.

This rain is really making things grow, my broccoli, the yard, the weeds. lol I'm very grateful though. It's downright depressing to have to water in the spring. I wasn't keeping up very well with my potted stuff. I accidently let some of my seedlings dry out that were sitting on my patio. I think I lost all my cheddar cauliflower babies and a few other things.

Looks like the bad storms are going to go south of us. Hope those of you in Arkansas are safe this weekend.

Comments (5)

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I didn't realize the sale was today....I wouldn't have gone either because of the rain. We have had 2 inches up to this point. Delighted with that. I had been watering all week.

The 'Sensation' lilac is a beauty; I have seen pictures of it in catalogs.

The hummers are still coming; I saw two today.

Also saw fleetingly a Baltimore Oriole at the hummer feeder.
    I don't have anything else out for them now. I hope they stay around for a while.

I know what you mean about the frosts....I can't believe I am actually going to have peaches and apricots. The strawberries are beginning to bloom and that always makes me nervous. I have the straw mulch close by if I need to do an emergency recover. The three blueberries are blooming too.

A few more clematis are blooming and Suky iris and the white hesperis matronalis/Dames Rocket. I have a few of the purples blooming too and the pink wiegela is starting to open.

This rain will bring everything on nicely...as well as the grass. Thankfully, I had mowed most of the yard Friday.

This should settle the road dust!

• ceresone
    13 years ago

Scarey weather isn't it? I'll hold my breath(LOL) till after May 10.
    I have 4 (5) tomatoes, and 1 pepper this year. Theres 2 tomatoes in one pot-Hard to believe I'm buying plants.
    I have one raised bed in strawberries now, the rain came just right for them, everything else goes on the deck.
    I did give in and order Dahlias and Glads this week, resisted as long as I could.
    My little Wren was back this morning, sat on the deck and sang till she knew I saw her, book says Bewicks Wren. Havent seen Orioles yet, but some Hummingbird feeders are missing flowers, so guess they've been here.
    If I could get ahead of Brown Rot, Glenda, my Peach, Cherry Nectarine and Plum trees are loaded. Hope we both have a good crop.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Here is what always happens with the fruit. The rains begin and you can't stay ahead of the spraying schedule....I haven't been able to get a spray on after petal fall.

The weather this morning makes me think of frost! I don't feel comfortable yet.............

• ladycraft
    13 years ago

The rain is great BUT I took the day off to work in the yard. Some of the "green stuff" on everything will get washed off. Weeds should be easyier to pull today.

Headed to Springfield to check out some replacement windows on Sat. Thought about the plant sale but rain kind of ended that. I wondered about the crowd. We usually go through Ozark and hit the garage sales and then in Springfield if I haven't given up by that time. Saw the farmers market but I'm not a survivor in the rain. I need to buy some plants but will do that when it isn't raining.

Got hubby out to help me build some SFG boxes. Had planned on sitting in the yard until I realized how unlevel the yard was so ended up putting bottoms on them. Hope all of this works as I have alot on money in them.

Saw one hummer yesterday so that is exciting.

Working on locating some barrels for rain barrels. Does anyone know where to get some cheap or free. I called a laundry company and they said they couldn't sell or give away due to the cemicals but hinted I could come by and pick them up if they were out by the trash. But haven't managed to be there at the right time.

Eveyone has been so busy working in their yards that I feel really behind. Hum I am behind! I am excited that some of my first yr perr. are blooming or getting ready to.

I love lilacs. I want to get one, but I want a big one. Guess it will never get big if I don't even plant it.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ladycraft - I'm behind on yard work too and housework. I hate to look around and see how much I need to do. Race Brother's has lots of barrels and they're inexpensive. Be sure to ask for the food safe plastic there. I know they have them. Some plastics will leach chemicals into your water when the sun heats them up. I'd pass on the ones at the laundry.

I'd like to hear how well your strawberries do in your raised bed Ceresone. I love strawberries but have only tried the hanging bags (failure). My dad plants them and shares. I'm not sure what kind he plants. They're not the best tasting strawberries, kind of sour, but maybe it's the ones he's had the most luck with.

I don't have any clematis blooming yet. A few more of my iris have opened. I brought in a bouquet since they were geting rain battered anyway. I have those little light purple ones that smell like grape koolaid and I could smell them all the way across the room. I need to post a picture of my Shasta Viburnum. It's blooming and really pretty this year.

I'm watching the forecast. NOAA DID say 41 for tonight but now it's down to 36. : (

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner