Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jspeachyn5

Still no hummers...

jspeachyn5
14 years ago

I can't believe I still have not see one hummer yet.

I have seen the orioles and martins. I hope they don't go past with out me at least seeing one of those beautiful birds.

Bonnie

Comments (16)

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Hi, Bonnie -- Do you have anything red in bloom? Like an azalea or red honeysuckle? That's what brought my sighting that one time.
    Sunny

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No, nothing like that.
    I really don't have much in bloom this year. I have been planting out soooo many flowers with the hopes that next year I will have those early blooms.
    My feeder is red/green. But I know that is not the same thing as blooms. Oh well, maybe one will stop by later in the summer.
    Bonnie.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Maybe they've come around and you just didn't see them yet.
    I've seen a male a couple times and that's it. I don't think he stayed around.
    The first flowers are starting to open on my coral honeysuckle but I would like to have some earlier hummingbird favorites. I planted a red buckeye for early flowers a couple years ago but it's not big enough to bloom yet.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Maybe Christie,
    I have taken the feeder down and cleaned/refilled it. However I don't think there was any gone. I just didn't want it to be dirty for them.
    I sure hope some of the things I have been planting out as well as some I have planed for planting out through out the year will help next year. I have really tried hard to choose what is said to be helpful in attracting humming birds an butterflies.
    Bonnie

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Bonnie, They're still coming-I have more everday. I'm up to about 15 now. They will be there--did you hang your feeder in the same spot as last year? Thats where they check first.
    Whipporwills are here too.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No Ceresone, I had to move it. The other tree was downed in the ice storm. Well the top half so they took out the whole tree, wasn't much left to it. Maybe they will just take a while to find it.
    This tree is much closer to the house and we can see it clearly from the window, so we all watch.
    Bonnie

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

We have several hummingbirds now, but have not heard a whippoorwill yet.
    We have seen fireflys, too.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh I just love firefly's. They have always fascinated me. I enjoy watching the grandchildren see them for the first time.

I have a question. When everyone puts out the jelly feeders or fruit. Do you have to change it everyday? Do you have a love of flys or ants around the jelly feeders?
    I was thinking about putting one of these out for the children,( ok an me too) to watch the birds a bit more.
    But last year I nearly got carried off by the ants. Thank you tarro! So was wondering if that would attract more ants??
    Well I guess I should have started another thread.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    14 years ago

Jelly keeps for a while. Mine either gets rain in it or sunflower hulls. I change when it is ugly. I have ants but they haven't found the jelly yet. If they do, I'll move it. I sometimes put vasoline on my stake for the hb feeder.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Have you seen one yet Bonnie?
    My first female hummingbird showed up this morning. I'm still just seeing one male and not very often. I always see the most in late summer. I was hoping I would have a lot of spring visitors this year for a change but starting to think that's not going to happen.

• jspeachyn5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

No Christie,
    Still have not seen any hummers.
    Lots of other birds though.
    Hope the appear after some blooms open.
    Glad to hear you are at least seeing some. Good luck.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    14 years ago

I heard one doing the swing dance.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

We still have just seen 4. I don't have flowers for them yet either, just the syrup. I am sure if you leave it up they will find it.

I leave the jelly until it is almost gone. The rain causes it to liquefy, but they drink the purple syrup just as well. I am putting out a small blob about every 2days now. I think I have seen 4. I haven't had the Orchard Orioles yet.

• ceresone
    14 years ago

Anyone want to borrow Hummingbirds? Mine have gone thru 10# of sugar already, I have about 50, I think.Only 3 feeders up, may have to go back to 8, but not if I can help it.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Why so many?!!! What's your secret? Do you have lots of things planted for them too? It's a bit of a pain refilling the feeders. I only have two up this spring. Last year I had four plus an oriole nectar feeder and I got tired of filling them but I know I wasn't going through nearly as much sugar as you. Sounds like a full time job. Rewarding though. : )

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Could it be just that she is further south? Are you warmer down there? We were 48° this morning. I don't really want to use that much sugar! Need to save it for jelly and jam.