Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

white fringe tree

helenh
14 years ago

I am having trouble finding a spot for this plant. There are walnut trees near most of my yard. Does anyone know if walnut will inhibit it? Also does it need really good soil or lots of humus in the soil? I know it is an understory tree but needs some sun. I'd like to hear from anyone who has in their yard. I bought one before that never got any bigger, but I am going to try again. It is said to be fragrant which is what I keep trying for.

Comments (5)

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Was your last fringe tree under a walnut?
    I've found the easiest way to search is to put in the botanical name and the word juglone on google. Then if you click on the word "cached", it will highlight the search words for you.
    I'm afraid it's not going to help much to search the lists though because I looked at a few and it's listed as tolerant on some lists and susceptible on others. I wonder if it's just inaccurate information or maybe fringe tree is only slightly susceptible and will sometimes do ok under black walnut. I've seen flowering dogwood listed both ways also.

From what I've read, the amount of juglone in the soil can vary depending on drainage, age of trees etc. The article below talks a little bit on how to reduce the amount of juglone in your soil if you scroll down about half-way. Fringetree is listed as Chionanthus spp. on the list at the bottom of the article and according to this one it's tolerant. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Walnut Trees and Juglone

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Christie. I think getting dry in the summer may be my problem. I didn't have any luck with witchhazel and I've read the native one grows nears streams. I will just have to take really good care of it. Your link did say J. maple can also tolerate B. walnut; that is good to know.

• pauln
    14 years ago

Fringe tree seems to do well in either sun or shade. Of course, in deep shade flowering will be reduced. The thing about shade,is if it's shade from old trees, they will rob the soil of all of the moisture, so you would need to water anything growing under the shade of old trees. I figure fringe will do well in places that dogwood does well.

As to witch hazel, we have 2 species in AR/MO. Vernal or Ozark grows along streams and has fragrant blooms from January till March, mostly on warm days. I love smelling one of these in the dead of winter, it gives me a thrill. This one would definately need lots of water to thrive in a garden or yard.

Common or Fall Witch hazel blooms from Sept - Dec. and is not fragrant. I usually see this one on north-face hillsides.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks pauln. I was going for fragrance. I think I should stick to plants that don't require extra moisture; it is hard enough caring for the ones with average water needs.

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

I have a young one that is now taller than I am, but then....I am only 5' :-).
    It is growing well, and has had a few blooms for the past 3-4 years. It is in a flowerbed, and gets watered when we have a dry spell.
    They leaf out very late.

Marian

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County