Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

First Hummer!

gldno1
15 years ago

This morning, exactly the same day as last year, our first male hummingbird ate at the kitchen feeder. Ineresting.

Comments (10)

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Congratulations!
    That is interesting... you will have to try an see if it happens again next year.
    Still no hummers here.
    I think I should change the food in mine though since it has been over a week.
    Maybe in should tie something red to my feeder. Mine has a little red on it but not much.
    Congratulations again on the hummer!
    Bonnie

• Violet_Z6
    15 years ago

Good to hear an update. Looking forward to seeing them again this year!

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This one ate from the copper colored feeder that just has little red flowers at the openings, not the one with the red top and base. I was surprised. I just left the old syrup in there since we haven't had any hot weather. Tomorrow I will refill them with fresh.

• helenh
    15 years ago

I saw two this afternoon. I just put up my feeder today because ants got in my sugar water that I mixed up last weekend. Terro liquid ant killer that I got at Lowes worked. It was about $3. I also got some outside stakes, but it was the liquid drops that got them out of my kitchen. They were about to carry us off. I have lots of flowers and hadn't seen hummers on flowers so I wasn't in a big hurry to put up the feeder.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I fought ants in the kitchen last year and Terro is what finally got rid of them for me too.

I didn't see a hummer all day yesterday.

• pamcrews
    15 years ago

Got my first one today! Yiphee! I wonder if it's the same one from last year?

Pam

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

I saw my first one this season in the Heckrotti honeysuckle outside my kitchen window today! Yea!
    Carole

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Still impatiently waiting here. I had at least a dozen last year. Surely some of them will find their way back. Pam - It would be nice if there was an easy way to tag them so a person could see how many return to the same area.
    How long has your heckrotti honeysuckle been in bloom Carole? I have Dropmore Scarlet and Coral Honeysuckle but they're not blooming yet. There are a few buds on the coral honeysuckle that are almost ready to open.

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

The Heckrotti has been blooming for a couple of weeks now. It's almost impossible to make cuttings from it -- I have two that rooted, but I sure had to sweet talk them.

Christie, I might be able to find a rooted small one around here--let me know if you want to come get it when you're in Joplin.
    Sunny

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Yay! My first hummingbird (a male) showed up this afternoon and spent some time at the feeder. Hope he stays around. I have a few things blooming in my yard but not really any hummingbird favorites. I need to keep my feeder filled until I do.

Sunny - I'd love to have a start of your heckrotti but I have two coral honeysuckles in temporary spots that I need to find a place for first. Keep me in mind for next year. My little arbor is still a pile of boards. The plan is to put a coral honeysuckle on each side of that but I saw a photo recently of a mature coral honeysuckle and it was huge. They may overtake it.

We have a chain link fence around our back yard and it's tempting to put vines all the way around it but I'm afraid it will just look messy to anyone that isn't a gardener. My Dropmore Scarlet is already growing on it and a couple clematis.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County