Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Hummer!

Posted by gldno1 z6MO (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 12:49

This morning, exactly the same day as last year, our first male hummingbird ate at the kitchen feeder. Ineresting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Hummer!

Congratulations!
That is interesting... you will have to try an see if it happens again next year.
Still no hummers here.
I think I should change the food in mine though since it has been over a week.
Maybe in should tie something red to my feeder. Mine has a little red on it but not much.
Congratulations again on the hummer!
Bonnie

o

Good to hear an update. Looking forward to seeing them again this year!

o

This one ate from the copper colored feeder that just has little red flowers at the openings, not the one with the red top and base. I was surprised. I just left the old syrup in there since we haven't had any hot weather. Tomorrow I will refill them with fresh.

o

I saw two this afternoon. I just put up my feeder today because ants got in my sugar water that I mixed up last weekend. Terro liquid ant killer that I got at Lowes worked. It was about $3. I also got some outside stakes, but it was the liquid drops that got them out of my kitchen. They were about to carry us off. I have lots of flowers and hadn't seen hummers on flowers so I wasn't in a big hurry to put up the feeder.

o

I fought ants in the kitchen last year and Terro is what finally got rid of them for me too.

I didn't see a hummer all day yesterday.

o

Got my first one today! Yiphee! I wonder if it's the same one from last year?

Pam

o

I saw my first one this season in the Heckrotti honeysuckle outside my kitchen window today! Yea!
Carole

o

Still impatiently waiting here. I had at least a dozen last year. Surely some of them will find their way back. Pam - It would be nice if there was an easy way to tag them so a person could see how many return to the same area.
How long has your heckrotti honeysuckle been in bloom Carole? I have Dropmore Scarlet and Coral Honeysuckle but they're not blooming yet. There are a few buds on the coral honeysuckle that are almost ready to open.

o

The Heckrotti has been blooming for a couple of weeks now. It's almost impossible to make cuttings from it -- I have two that rooted, but I sure had to sweet talk them.

Christie, I might be able to find a rooted small one around here--let me know if you want to come get it when you're in Joplin.
Sunny

o

Yay! My first hummingbird (a male) showed up this afternoon and spent some time at the feeder. Hope he stays around. I have a few things blooming in my yard but not really any hummingbird favorites. I need to keep my feeder filled until I do.

Sunny - I'd love to have a start of your heckrotti but I have two coral honeysuckles in temporary spots that I need to find a place for first. Keep me in mind for next year. My little arbor is still a pile of boards. The plan is to put a coral honeysuckle on each side of that but I saw a photo recently of a mature coral honeysuckle and it was huge. They may overtake it.

We have a chain link fence around our back yard and it's tempting to put vines all the way around it but I'm afraid it will just look messy to anyone that isn't a gardener. My Dropmore Scarlet is already growing on it and a couple clematis.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here