Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

Freeze survey

helenh
15 years ago

I walked around this morning and was pleasantly surprised that there is not much damage. My hostas already froze so I am not counting those. The dogs are using some of the new beds I made for them out of hay, tall grass tops and landscape cloth. I know it got down to the mid twenties, but I have made a resolution to move my thermometer sensors. They are on the side of the house. Last night I was out late spraying things with the hose and it was already freezing. Weeds I had sprayed earlier were stiff and there were ice sparkles on the grass. My thermometers were still reading above freezing. Did you get damage and how cold did it get at your house. If you had damage, what was hurt what survived?

Comments (14)

• southerngardenchick
    15 years ago

We got lucky down here! It only got to 36 here... I had my potatoes and onions covered, carried in my containers. My daylilies are fine (just figured out what they were!).

My father in law down in Hot Springs is calling me chicken. He's got his tomato and pepper plants out allready, says I should do the same! I'm too scared for that... LOL!

Beth

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I believe it got down to 25 here. My mums that I covered and the ones that I didn't look exactly the same but they're close to the house. I have some hostas half up under one of my oak trees and they didn't look too bad even though I didn't cover them. Maybe it didn't stay cold very long or the dried leaves on the tree over them held the heat in. I expected them to be mush. I haven't looked at my other hostas yet. Tonight won't be quite as cold.

• sunnyside1
    15 years ago

Checked everything this morning and took covers off. I can't see any damage at all, even though we had temps in the high 20's. I was surprised all the clematis were okay. The big climbing roses which I cannot ever cover were just fine. Sure hope this is the last freeze this spring, and that everyone got through it okay.
    Sunny

• gldno1
    15 years ago

25° here and things look pretty good, but we will see if it hurt the blooming for next month.

I won't know about the fruit for a few days.

Beth, you hang in there.....tomatoes and peppers won't do well with 36 degrees night time temps!

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

It looks like everything made it. I waited until the temps got up to 40 before I uncovered everything.
    Sorry to hear about others loss.
    Christie, how did your ws jugs do? Mine did great. everything inside still looks great. I didn't cover any of the ws items. Only the plants that have been in the ground the past few years that are showing new growth.
    I'm beginning to believe those I have started out in the cold can take the temp changes much better than those I have started in the house.
    I'm so glad I had not put any tomato plants out side to sun yet.
    That reminds me I have not seen any growth on my mums. Quite strange since they were blooming until thanksgiving. I had went out and covered them a few times in the fall last year since they were blooming so nicely. Well guess I will have to replace those. drat.
    Bonnie

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Christie it is not all my hostas that freeze. Some come up too early and some are just now peeking out. The thick blue ones seem to handle the cold better. It got bleeding heart so bad I didn't recognize it. I am so glad we did not have a repeat of the 2007 damage.

• teeandcee
    15 years ago

I'm not sure how cold it got here, but the only thing damaged was a hosta. It was only slightly damaged, although this morning I thought it was a goner from the limp leaves. It seems to have recovered.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Bonnie, don't give up on the mums just yet. I had three that were surrounded by mulch which has kept the ground cold and they are just beginning to show through.

glenda

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

Thanks' I will keep an eye on them. I might go pull back some soil around and see if there is any green.
    Bonnie

• southerngardenchick
    15 years ago

Glenda,
    I'm hanging in! Won't let my fil goad me into planting too early! lol... he's just a mess. He also lives four hours south of us, so MUCH different climate.

Bet my tomato plants will be better than his. Nyah.

Beth

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I don't think it could've gotten down to 25 here like they said it did. I didn't see anything in my yard that looked damaged.

Bonnie - I brought my winter sowed seedlings inside because I thought it was supposed to get down below 20 Monday night and I wanted to be sure. I might not bother if I had a lot of containers but I only have a few so it's not much trouble to haul them in and out.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I checked the peaches yesterday and most seem to be frozen to the black stage.....drats! The plums are so tiny yet I can't tell, but they will drop in a few days or after another storm.

In cleaning off beds yesterday, I didn't find any damage. I am risking taking the tops off the mums.

• ceresone
    15 years ago

I checked everything yesterday, didnt uncover some till morning.
    Glenda, my peaches seem to be O.K., least none of the ones I pulled were black. The plums too, and cherry trees seem to be untouched.The apples are about a week from blooming.
    The blueberries in the ground (well, 1) are blooming, tho not in the pots. Its much smaller than the others tho.
    We still have about a month to go to be in the clear.

• helenh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I saw a news segment on TV this morning about peaches. They said below 27 or 28 degrees was a killer. Also they seemed to be saying the number of hours at those temps were also critical. I am finding a little more damage - a deutzia shrub seems to have burnt flower buds, and the red bud's flowers are brown. I can live with that and I expect more frosts; no hard freeze please. I haven't cleaned up my mess yet. I used miscanthus tops and leaves for some of my cover.