Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Got PART of the yard mowed yesterday

christie_sw_mo
11 years ago

Had to air up a tire but the mower is running and dh put new plugs in. My yard wouldn't look too bad if not for the wild onions peeking up above the other grass (and weeds).

Why are there so many weeds coming up in my containers? I don't remember ever having so many. That's unfair. lol

Comments (9)

• helenh
    11 years ago

I mowed part of my yard and thanked God the mower started. I have a tire that goes flat too sometimes off the rim flat; this time I just aired it up. All the tires are full of that green stuff. The tire that goes flat must have a big hole. I remember how hard it was to get it off the axle one time so I guess I will put up with it. It looks better mowed but I don't have a lawn. It is pretty flowers and big clumps of grass here and there.

• sunnyside1
    11 years ago

Christie, I have read that when there are green onions in a lawn, it has a calcium deficiency. My front zoysia yard has a lot of them. I'm wondering how to get calcium into the soil.
    Any ideas?
    Sunny

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's interesting about the onions. I have spots here and there where there are clumps. I don't know anything about calcium. I'm beginning to think it doesn't help to pull wild onions even if you get the roots. I think there may be tiny blubs left behind that resprout.
    I have lots of "pretty flowers" too Helen. lol Dandelions and Henbit I think or lamium, I don't know which (maybe both) and some that look like very tiny pansies or violets blooming right now and some even smaller flowers that have four purple/blue petals. I don't know what either of those are. The last couple hot dry summers have been hard on our lawn.

• sunnyside1
    11 years ago

Well, about the calcium deficiency, I did some online research and found that lime or ashes will help the onion situation. My cousin burns wood, so she's bringing me a bucket of ashes. You might also have an acid ph as I do. Mine was 5.5 a few years ago and I've been working on it since.

Sunny

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago

Mowed the yard for the first time yesterday after pulling 4 wheel barrows full of the nasty purple dead nettle. That obnoxious stuff is everywhere. Still debating if it would be okay to throw into the compost since it has tiny flowers all over it.

• sunnyside1
    11 years ago

Well, if it's really a nettle, it would be great for the compost. But I don't know about the flower part. Are you sure nettle is what it is? Does it sting your hands? I have worlds of a green thing that has purple flowers. I pull the flower part off before tossing it into the bin.
    Sunny

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago

Here is a shot of it sunnyside1.

• sunnyside1
    11 years ago

Yes, that's the stuff I have. It's Henbit. I have chickweed too, a little bit, and I don't put that in the compost. But I do the henbit.
    Sunny

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago

It doesn't sting my hands at all. Has a square stem and gets about 8 - 10 inches tall in clumps to cover the area.

This post was edited by dirtguy50 on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 8:24

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!