Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Got PART of the yard mowed yesterday

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 10, 13 at 12:50

Had to air up a tire but the mower is running and dh put new plugs in. My yard wouldn't look too bad if not for the wild onions peeking up above the other grass (and weeds).

Why are there so many weeds coming up in my containers? I don't remember ever having so many. That's unfair. lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Got PART of the yard mowed yesterday

I mowed part of my yard and thanked God the mower started. I have a tire that goes flat too sometimes off the rim flat; this time I just aired it up. All the tires are full of that green stuff. The tire that goes flat must have a big hole. I remember how hard it was to get it off the axle one time so I guess I will put up with it. It looks better mowed but I don't have a lawn. It is pretty flowers and big clumps of grass here and there.

o

Christie, I have read that when there are green onions in a lawn, it has a calcium deficiency. My front zoysia yard has a lot of them. I'm wondering how to get calcium into the soil.
Any ideas?
Sunny

o

That's interesting about the onions. I have spots here and there where there are clumps. I don't know anything about calcium. I'm beginning to think it doesn't help to pull wild onions even if you get the roots. I think there may be tiny blubs left behind that resprout.
I have lots of "pretty flowers" too Helen. lol Dandelions and Henbit I think or lamium, I don't know which (maybe both) and some that look like very tiny pansies or violets blooming right now and some even smaller flowers that have four purple/blue petals. I don't know what either of those are. The last couple hot dry summers have been hard on our lawn.

o

Well, about the calcium deficiency, I did some online research and found that lime or ashes will help the onion situation. My cousin burns wood, so she's bringing me a bucket of ashes. You might also have an acid ph as I do. Mine was 5.5 a few years ago and I've been working on it since.

Sunny

o

Mowed the yard for the first time yesterday after pulling 4 wheel barrows full of the nasty purple dead nettle. That obnoxious stuff is everywhere. Still debating if it would be okay to throw into the compost since it has tiny flowers all over it.

o

Well, if it's really a nettle, it would be great for the compost. But I don't know about the flower part. Are you sure nettle is what it is? Does it sting your hands? I have worlds of a green thing that has purple flowers. I pull the flower part off before tossing it into the bin.
Sunny

o

Here is a shot of it sunnyside1.

o

Yes, that's the stuff I have. It's Henbit. I have chickweed too, a little bit, and I don't put that in the compost. But I do the henbit.
Sunny

o

It doesn't sting my hands at all. Has a square stem and gets about 8 - 10 inches tall in clumps to cover the area.

This post was edited by dirtguy50 on Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 8:24

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here