Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

First Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly

gldno1
14 years ago

I think my new white hesperis matronalis (Dame's Rocket, white) is the draw. It coming back again and again.

{{gwi:656847}}From Butterflies

Comments (11)

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

They're so pretty and I hardly ever see one. I have host plants for them including a tulip tree and lots of black cherries.

I think both of my butterfly bushes that I rooted and kept in my garage over winter are dead. : ( I have a Pink Delight that the butterflies love and I wanted to plant another one. Now I'm wishing I had just planted them in the ground. They might have done better.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I think they are sometimes late. Some of my crepe myrtles will have to be cut back. I suspect some winter kill.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Christie, some of my buddleias just got some green growth at the ground level. Water them well and set them out in the sun and give them a little longer.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

I won't toss them yet.
    I looked up hesperis matronalis on Mobot to see how long the bloom time is and it has a warning so I thought I'd let you know. You might not want to let it go to seed.

I haven't gotten a single seedling from my butterfly bush even though it's been blooming for years and they're supposed to be invasive. That's one of the reasons why I rooted cuttings of the one I have. I am beginning to wonder if it's sterile.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mobot - Hesperis matronalis

• helenh
    14 years ago

I have seen it growing wild in ditches - not the white, the purple common ones. I like to see it and think it is not that hard to get rid of. I am sure it may crowd out some natives, but I don't care if it invades here. My problem is I ordered seeds from a wildflower place that aren't strongly fragrant. Fragrance is the reason to have it.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Christie, I have had the purple for years, and don't find it invasive at all. In fact I don't have as much as I used to.
    It is a first to bloom and is fragrant that makes it a keeper in my book. I wish it would fill my front ditch.

Helen, I will save seeds this year. My smeller isn't what it used to be, but I think mine is fragrant. I know the white next to the house is. It is slightly different from the one I planted by the garden fence which is pure white. The one with the butterfly has a tiny purple streak in it.

I will check the purples out in the ditch and see if they are. I know they were when I first planted them back in the 90's.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I will trade you tomato seeds for them Ha Ha. I have too many tomatoes for sure.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have three boxes of various seeds....I need to quit buying seeds...period!

• helenh
    13 years ago

I shouldn't be a smarty because I'd love to have the seeds. Your petunia is blooming here and is fragrant.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Already blooming....mine are barely out of the ground. The blasted dog dug up hundreds of seedlings. I may have to search to find some and move them......grrrrrrrr!

I am trying to train DH and the dog....he goes in the pen when we are not outside! (the dog, not DH but if he keeps favoring the dog..........)

• helenh
    13 years ago

Glenda, I started them early inside when winter was too long and I was going crazy.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH