Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swmogardens

Blooming today; 4/1/10

swmogardens
14 years ago

My daffodils have hit their peak

SWMOgardens "TIP OF THE DAY"

Now is a great time to get spring bloomers cheap. See the small daffodils in the top pic? I bought those after they were done flowering for a buck. I bought 2 containers of them then cut them into thirds before planting. That was 3 years ago . Now I have 6 nice clumps of daffodils at my curb for all my neighbors to see.

Lets see what is blooming in your garden today.

Comments (7)

• helenh
    14 years ago

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I have never seen daffs in pots before....maybe I need to get out more!

Helen, I love your mixed violas. I grew some Johnny Jump ups a few years ago and they disappeared. I thought once you got them, you have them forever and they self seeded everywhere. Maybe my thug violets choked them out.

Love the furry cat! Now that is a garden ornament.

I have more daffs and the two plums are in full bloom. Pics to follow later.

• helenh
    14 years ago

Glenda there are daffodils in pots at Wal-mart and Lowe's and garden centers now. That is the most expensive way to buy them unless you wait until after they bloom when they put them on sale. Lowe's had some pink ones that I am watching. After they finish, I'm going to try to pick some up. If I knew the variety, I would order them in the fall because the cup is close to being pink. They are just labeled pink so no clue on the variety. Puffy was being friendly so I took his picture. I adopted 3 young cats a couple of years ago. They were born in a shed. Neighbors were feeding them but didn't claim them and wanted me to take them. I still have 2 or the three. Spanky comes in the house sometimes but Puffy is still a little afraid. He rubs on me but is stiff when I pick him up. He is a hunter.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I buy violas every year. I consider them annuals. Yes they will reseed if you don't mulch or dig up the area but not enough for me. I could buy a gallon shrub or two for the same money (more azaleas) and have something that would last, but I like them.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I was in Walmart at Bolivar and saw pots of hyacinths, but didn't browse much; they may have had more in other places.

I have a 'pink' one, don't know the name but it is really peachy salmon to me. I know they talk a lot about 'Accent' as being a great new pink.

Here is a shot of mine in a bouquet; I did an outdoor shot but there was too much sun and it didn't show the true color.

From 2010_04_02

From Gardening 2010

• helenh
    14 years ago

That is a nice one. None are really pink; yours is better than the one at Lowe's. I go for the mass effect but if a person kept at it, you could order fancy ones and keep dividing. I have some that I really like with round hollow leaves and small intensely fragrant flowers. I should divide what I have and try to multiply them.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

Swmogardens - I like your log edging. That looks nice.
    Helen - You have a beautiful helper. Your violas are pretty too.
    The photos I've seen of Accent are sort of an orangey pink but pretty. Yours is pretty Glenda. I like the softer colors like that better, especially in the shade.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting