Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Blooming - End of April

christie_sw_mo
13 years ago

This is one of my favorite shrubs, viburnum 'Shasta', and a close-up of the flowers. The bottom photo is a clump of woodland phlox that I want to try to collect seeds from because it's more fragrant than my other ones have been.

Comments (15)

• helenh
    13 years ago

Very nice. I love that shrub.

• swmogardens
    13 years ago

Very pretty. I have had Lily of the valley for several years, this is the first year I could smell it. It was worth waiting for. I also love the smell of Amur maple in bloom, very fragrant this year.

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

That viburnum is gorgeous! Is it fragrant? I'm looking to add a fragrant one to my yard this year, and I love the way it has a horizontal look to it.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I used to have lily of the valley by my back door and could smell when I went out on the porch but my dogs trampled it. I do still have a little left hiding under the porch but it didn't bloom.

V. Shasta isn't fragrant. I have viburnum Mohawk and Aurora also. They're both fragrant but bloom for less than a week.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

OK, I posted about these beauties and it is gone!

I saw a house in Christian County that had an entire border of these on the east lawn and they were spectacular.

How big a shrub does it make? I need to fill in my new shrub border some.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It gets wider than tall. Some descriptions say 6 feet tall and 12 feet wide. I'm sure I didn't allow enough space for it. Actually there's another one behind it and I planted them too close together. I ordered them from Bluestone Perennials so they were tiny when I got them. I had to wait a few years to see them flower heavily. I can't remember how long it blooms but 10 days so far this year.

Glenda - Can you tell yet whether your hardy crape myrtle survived? Those grow fairly quickly and bloom a long time. I think some of mine are starting to leaf out a little. I need to check on them. Was yours in the ground or in a pot over winter?

• ladycraft
    13 years ago

WOW! Think the bushes have more and brighter blooms this year. OR I could be just getting older and think that.

• teeandcee
    13 years ago

I may have to find room in my yard for this one. I'm going to order a smallish one from Bluestone that's fragrant for the front walkway, but I just love the growth habit of this one!

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I got it planted...so far nothing. It was in a sheltered spot so I thought it would be safe. I should have mulched it heavily.

• arkie62
    13 years ago

Only have two of the "Black" Iris, but lots of the white.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Those are beautiful Arkie.
    I remember reading a mystery novel a long time ago that had a black iris or black tulip in the story.

I'm betting that your crape myrtle is still alive Glenda. I think when I sent it to you it had already made it through one winter unmulched. I have two in big pots that are not leafing out yet. I'll let you know if I start to see some growth. They're both seedlings from Acoma also and are a year older than yours.

• helenh
    13 years ago

Both are beautiful, the black because it is unusual, the white because of the nice flower shape.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

Arkie, they are beautiful. That black is truly black. I only have one very dark one called Superstition, but it doesn't look that black to me. It is still in the tight bud stage.

I have several clumps of white Immortality here and there. I think they show up better than any other color.

• jaceysgranny
    13 years ago

Christie, your viburnum is gorgeous! My Mock Orange is blooming now and the older one has very few blooms but it there is a smaller one that came up last year that is blooming pretty good. Mine don't have a scent and neither does my sweet autumn clematis and it doesn't bloom well either. I'm on the lookout for ones that are scented.

The blue phlox is pretty with the lime green hosta and those irises are pretty too. I have white but no dark colors at all.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!
    The ground under my Shasta Viburnum is starting to turn white with falling petals. It still has flowers but won't in a day or two.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting