Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

When is Master Gardener Sale in Springfield?

christie_sw_mo
16 years ago

Violet may have posted this already but I couldn't find it. Anyone know?

Violet - Do you think there will there be less plants this year because of the late freeze?

Comments (14)

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

It is always the last Saturday in April at 7:30 sharp!

It's hard to say Christie, not only was the frost an issue but so is all this rain because it's inhibiting digging days to get plants potted up. At this point, rain is becoming more of the main problem (though at this time last year we were in drought conditions).

Logic would say yes, but even if the plant count goes from 7000 to 4000, that's still a lot of plants to choose from. True gardeners know that even if the tops don't look good, it's the bottoms that count. So long as the root system is healthy, the plant will look good when the time is right. So if anything, plants may be priced even lower than the already low prices due to the frost which would make them steals. They always try to price plants lower than the garden centers and the plants are hardy here because they come from the demonstration gardens and the homes of local gardeners.

Rain or shine, the Master Gardeners of Southwest Missouri will begin their annual plant sale at 7:30 a.m. April 28 under a large tent at the back of Nathanael Greene Park.

There are shrubs, small trees, bulbs, perennials, annuals, grasses, ground covers, herbs, water garden plants, houseplants, magazines and a selection of garden-related items.

The park is at 2400 S. Scenic Ave. (south of West Sunshine Street) in Springfield (follow signs).

As you know Christie, it's best to get there before starting time for best selection.

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Last Sunday's paper also listed Christian Co. Master Gardener's sale, April 21 8 am. until plants are gone, at the east parking lot at Richwood Valley OTC campus between Nixa and Ozark on Missouri 14. Call 581-4853 or 743-4914.

Webster County - May 5, 8 a.m. to noon. at the Extension Center parking lot, 800 S. Marshall in Marshfield. CAll 859-2044.

I got notice of Dorothy's Digs open house this week. It is /was Friday, Sat and Sun, April 13,14, and 15. Directions: 11.8 mi north of Springfield on Hwy 13, 1.3 miles West FR6. Watch for signs. 10% off on all purchases. I didn't go yesterday because of the rain, but will today.

From looking at my yard, I need some plants!!! I think the rain will help all of us recover faster. Now we just need some warm sunshine.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info.

"Rain or shine" - Doesn't it always rain? lol Wish someone would volunteer a big school gym for this event or maybe the arena at the fairgrounds where they have rodeos, dog shows etc. That would be easier to clean up.

I wonder if the one in Christian County has as many plants as the one in Springfield. Has anyone ever been to that one?

Wasn't the swap meet at the Battlefield Mall supposed to start today? What a cold day to sell plants. I thought about driving out there but they may have canceled anyway.

Do NOT look out the window! (It's snowing)

Gld - let us know what you got at Dorothy's Digs. Only a true plant addict shops in the snow.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

I think part of the reason for the location is because a majority of the plants are from the park. It's a lot of work loading and unloading and transporting, so the shorter the distance, the better.

Rain and cold have certainly been tradition except for one or two sale days where it was sunny with crystal clear blue skies. It can be pretty miserable setting up, especially with wind and rain.

I doubt the Greater Springfield Farmers Market is ever "cancelled" there are far too many vendors who have already prepaid to sell there. Yes, it opens today. Snow on the first day will make a great story for years to come!

By the way, I doubt the plant count for the Springfield MG sale will be much lower than normal.

;)

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

DOROTHY'S DIGS
    12050 N FR #119
    Brighton, MO 65617
    417-742-2149

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

Poor Dorothy's hostas were all damaged by frost! Thanks for mentioning the place. She had a decent selection of perennials. Not bad for the third year.

Will definitely go back to see the hosta gardens. Many, many beds to stroll around and browse.

• gldno1
    16 years ago

violet, you have to go back when everything is greened up! She has fish ponds in a grove of trees and has built a stream in the woods behind her shop.

I have already been there twice this week. I bought three blueberry bushes, a rhubarb and some herbs and perennials, also a few perennials that I don't do from seed for hanging baskets for shade, impatiens and ivy-leaf geraniums. I may go back and buy the Caroline raspberries.

She is also the one who has an open house during Christmas showing her house decorated. She is an absolute Christmas freak! All she asks is a donation for the Humane Society.

I want some of her grasses and hostas, but will wait until they come back....also her climatis ..... are priced way under normal market.

Oh, I forgot I bought a pair of those fantastic gardening gloves by Atlas. I think they were about $2 cheaper than the pair I got at Hummerts. I absolutely will not garden without them.

She has great plans.....another greenhouse; online shopping, which should be up and running in a week or so and she now takes credit cards. What could be better? and she is about 7 minutes from my house.

She also is a poultry afficianado.....we love to hear the geese get excited when we are there.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

Great! Don't worry, I'll get out there again.

Did we have the Atlas glove discussion? You know... that style and quality are far more common these days across brands. I want to Race Brother's yesterday on Kearney and they have some near the register (not at the register) and they retail for $2.99. They're not Atlas brand but they are the the original thickness which I like. Thicker than what I can find these days which tend to be thinner at Wild Birds Unlimited. For $2.99 at that quality I was very impressed.

Time to get out to make the rounds to Hill Top, Steinert's Greenhouse, Schaffitzels, etc. There's a great place in Baxter Springs called Moncrief's Greenhouse that I highly recommend a day trip to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairly Extensive List of Greenhouses in Spfd + Surrounding Areas

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for that list. I printed out all three pages to keep in my car. Some of them are farther than I would travel just to buy plants, but if I happen to be in that area I would love to stop by.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

Reforest the Ozarks will also be present this Saturday to provide an opportunity to purchase new red and white oak trees at the discount rate of $10 each. This is the perfect opportunity to help you reforest your yard after the loss of trees in the area from the January ice storm. Each tree is approximately 5-foot tall and is valued at approximately $20.

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

Who's planning on going?

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Me maybe - Got to dig out my pointy umbrella and shoulder pads. I think they're actually predicting good weather this time.

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

we have one in yellville today at 10. a lot closer for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i am sure it will be much smaller but........

william

• Violet_Z6
    16 years ago

Any plant sale is better than none if you can find a new addition to your family sweetwm007!