Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting seeds late...

Posted by kjfmz St Louis area (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 14:23

Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help reassure me a little here :)

So, this is the first time I have started a garden, and I'm so happy I did, I had a great time doing it! However, I am a little worried as to my planting dates, as I have come across slightly different information.

Yesterday (4/17), I planted all seeds: Broccoli, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Lettuce, Peas. On the back of each seed package, there was no mention of starting the seeds indoors and then transplanting outside (as opposed to the same brand of pepper seeds, which specified this process). The general gist of the packages on all the ones I planted were to plant in early spring.

Well, I thought I was safe. And now I have come across information that says you should only plant already-started vegetables of these types at this time of year, and I'm worried that nothing is going to grow!

Can somebody tell me what my best course of action is at this point? Will anything grow? Will it just not perform as well as it could? Am I best off just pulling it all out and starting from scratch with better suited veggies?

Thanks in advance!

KJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting seeds late...

I am afraid the cool weather things like broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower won't come up in time to mature before very hot weather. Lettuce and peas should do fine. You could just buy plants now and set those out and see what the seeds do. Might be interesting.

o

• Posted by kjfmz St Louis (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 18:49

Thanks for the reply gldno1... I think I might just take them out and get my onions and beets in those spots, as I think I'm still just about on time for them, if not a day or two late. I'd prefer to admit I made a mistake and make use of the soil rather than keep on and just hope for the best :)

Would onions and beets still do well? Also, I'd like to get (sweet burpless) cucumbers in, but I'm seeing a two month difference between the date on the package (March) and the date from the MO University pamphlet (May). Which date should I use?!

Also, the MU pamphlet says peppers can go in as late as 5/30. If I start growing them today, that would give me almost 6 weeks of indoor growth. Would this be enough?

heh, so many questions! Thanks again in advance from this newbie.

o

You are not late on the cucumbers. Plant them in the ground; they come up fast. Frost will kill them, so watch your weather report for over night temps. I don't grow peppers, but I see lots for sale in six packs. Some places have had nice big plants on sale cheap. You could also try a few of your seeds; if you like peppers it will be good experience.

o

Here's what you need from our state's Extention Service.

Notice that St. Louis falls under the Central area.

Vegetable Planting and Planning Calendar for Missouri (download the pdf) complete with spring and fall planting dates (underneath the spring planting dates for appropriate crops), how much to plant per person, etc. They can also tell you the average last frost date for your area and ideal planting times for specific crops and varieties in your area.

See how detailed this example is:

Here is an excerpt:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here