Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

First Iris opened today.

christie_sw_mo
13 years ago

I don't think this one has a name. The flowers are sort of small, so it may be just an old fashioned variety. I'm pretty sure I got it in a trade.

Comments (7)

• helenh
    13 years ago

I like that dark blue. I can see your balcony/deck. That looks very nice and you have open space around. I love living in the country.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

mine opened yesterday, it is much darker than the photo. I think yours is prettier. I like the falls being darker than the standards.

Mine was a passalong from our neighbor.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes that's my balcony. A couple weeds are showing too. I tried to keep them out of the picture. I think the ferny foliage might be coreopsis. My iris showed up a little darker and bluer in the photo than it really is.

Glenda - I think you have a little tree that wants to grow in your iris. Isn't that annoying! I had to dig a tree seedling out of the middle of my bloodroot yesterday and the root was about three times longer than the top. No way to get it out without digging up and replanting my blood root. Roundup might have worked but I had my shovel in my hand when I spotted it and it didn't look very big.

• ceresone
    13 years ago

Great Lakes is a blue like that, but I'm pretty sure that isnt it. When mine blooms, I'll see if its marked. I have Sis's book on each of our Iris, and she added descriptions.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

You have good eyes, Christie! Yep, another blasted elm seedling. I have elm, ash, redbud, kolreuteria in every spot imaginable. Some I can pull; others get the hoe.

I had DH cut down half of my beloved alba rose because a tree was growing right in the back half of it. It was beyond a sapling in size. Now I have to try to extricate it out without pulling up a clematis that works its way up the front side.....I have decided I would rather have clems on their own trellis! I have a dead rose with one on it and can just cut back the dead so far. I need to try to remember to cut it to the ground next winter.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More iris:
    I love the little light purple ones because they smell like grape koolaid.
    The purple and white one is Jess's Song I think. It's at the mercy of my dogs in the back yard and needs to be moved.
    I find iris blades laying around the yard once in awhile. Jackson pulls them off then runs around playing keep away with the other two dogs. They're toxic but I haven't seen him actually eating them.

• helenh
    13 years ago

You should have had Jackson stand by the iris when you took its picture. Grape koolaid smell sounds good.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax