Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetwm007

japanese maples

sweetwm007
14 years ago

was checking on the internet for good prices on j. maples. found this site, porcupine hollow farms. would be great for a garden club or neighbors that get along.

i have not done business with them so it might be a good idea to check with daves watchdog.

william

Comments (13)

• helenh
    14 years ago

I'm not in the market for trees; it is a struggle to find spots to plant what I already have sitting around in pots. Sunny did you get a tree yet? Japanese maples are nice trees if you have the right spot. That garden at Grove has quite a few; they are very pretty when the new leaves grow in spring. I almost like the common green ones as well as any. If I were rich I would try that one called moon or something with the unusual leaves.

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Thank you, Sweet William. I'll check into Porcupine Hollow Farms. What a GREAT name!

No, Helen, I don't have my Honey Locust yet. I have all my energy this week going to making a new hosta bed -- hauling in patio blocks and deciding what else to plant. Less grass for me to mow with this new bed taking up a corner of my yard. Next week when it rains we can all rest.
    Sunny

• pauln
    14 years ago

I've had very good luck ordering them on ebay during dormancy. They are small, but I can get some pretty rare varieties shipped to my house for around $20. Over the last few years I've accumulated 15 japanese maples of various sizes. The good thing about small ones is that they transplant easily and grow pretty quickly when they're young. Of course, they slow down after a few years.

Helen, you're thinking of full moon, or harvest moon I suspect. They are a different species, Acer shirasawanum. Most japanese maples are A. palmatum. This species does not like heat, but people in Missouri would have better luck then those further south. Harvest moon has more of a rusty color than full moon which is a very light yellow/green leaf. I have another species A. japonicum 'aconitifolium' which is a really cool maple with huge leaves and red seeds. It is really pokey, but has some awesome fall rainbow colors.

• helenh
    14 years ago

I googled the moon maple after my post. One place that was selling it said it was for experienced growers. I don't have room for anything but I do admire J. maples in gardens. Some of the red ones look as showy as a blooming tree when their new leaves come out. You are right about small trees catching up.

• pauln
    14 years ago

Helen, I've got a couple of bloodgoods, and 3 threadleaf reds. I like them, but I think I like the greens better. The reds tend to fade over the summer and turn into a dull green/purple. They also get kinda lost over my leaf mulch. In fall, however, they shine like nobody's business. So, they have their place, but I prefer the greens better myself. I guess it's maybe because they blend in better with my native woodland garden scheme.

• sweetwm007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

paul- have you tried raising j maples from seed and if so what were your results?
    thanks
    william

• pauln
    14 years ago

Not yet. I think you need to plant the seeds as soon as they have hardened off. My buddy has them coming up everywhere in his garden from seed. But, he waters and mulches much more than I do. William, you've inspired me to attempt starting them this year. I figure since most of mine are grafted, that the seeds may not come true to variety, but it's worth a try, and I may have a totally new variety on my hands.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

We got ours at Walmart many years ago. It was just labeled "Japanese Maple" so it's nothing special. It's purple in the spring and very pretty then turns purplish green in the summer, kind of dull as Paul said. It doesn't have good color EVERY fall but when it does, it's beautiful. Sometimes an early freeze gets it before it has a chance to change. These were taken two or three years ago I think.

I occasionally get a seedling but they grow very slowly and I either haven't been able to get them through the following winter or something eats them. Right now I have a seedling that came up last year that is just starting to leaf out if you want to call it that. lol It's about an inch and a half tall. I think this is the first time I've gotten one to winter over.

Can you tell from the photos that mine is planted way too close to the house?

• helenh
    14 years ago

Very nice Christie. Does anyone know if black walnut trees inhibit them?

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

Oh I really like those colors.
    I guess I have never really seen one in person, I can think of.
    I would think it would make a wonderful back drop to one's garden colors.
    Bonnie

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Those trees are gorgeous, Christie -- I like your gray (?) bricks as a backdrop to all that lucious color!
    Sunny

• helenh
    14 years ago

Bonnie, do you ever go to Grove to the Lindenwood ? something like that anyway garden? They have a very shady garden with lots of hostas and J. maples. If you haven't seen it this would be a good time. The J. maples new leaves are very nice if you appreciate a shade garden.

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

Thanks Helen.
    I stay pretty close to the house.
    Can't walk around very much, get to hurting too much. I very rarely go much of any where.
    Thanks' for the heads up though.
    Bonnie

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry