Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

Pinkspoonbill, A Cereus Question

mulberryknob
15 years ago

Pinkspoonbill, I'm glad to see you back here. Do you remember the nightblooming cereus you sent me in trade? I am curious to know how and when to expect it to bloom. And can I set it in the yard over the summer. Does it need to be potbound to bloom. It's still in the small pot I put it in and I was thinking of potting up as it has grown quite a bit. Thanks.

Comments (3)

• pinkspoonbill
    15 years ago

The night blooming cereus can certainly sit outside all summer long. It definitely cannot freeze, so I wouldn't put it out until all possibility of frost is over, then get it in again before any possibility of frost in Autumn. It will get very big if you let it. It would be good to put it in a larger pot. You probably have several pieces of it that have grown from the one piece I sent you. When it flowers, it is supposed to be very fragrant. I don't know the size of the plant for flowering. I've cut mine back several times to make trades for people, so mine haven't gotten as big as they could have. This year, I'm going to let one get real big. Maybe yours and mine will flower this summer. I've read here on GW about people posting that theirs have bloomed so I expect it to bloom for us under houseplant conditions. Let me know how big yours is, and how it's doing? If it has grown into multiple pieces and several feet high, it very well may bloom this year. Perhaps others here on GW can comment when theirs bloomed at what size.

Thanks for your post. It is good to hear from you again.

• mulberryknob
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I Love fragrant flowers so I can hardly wait for the bloom.
    But it is not several feet long yet. It is three times at least the size it was. You sent one segment and now that one has put on three more in a branched pattern. It wintered on the enclosed porch which did not freeze but did get chilly several nights especially while the power was off. I will pot it up and put it in the yard.

And how are the Naked Ladies doing? If they didn't bloom for you last year they should this summer. Let me know Ok?

• pinkspoonbill
    15 years ago

They sure did bloom, and they were fragrant. I thought I missed them because I had to go out of town when they were in bud, but when I can back, a different one had pink flowers to see and smell.

Last night I spoke to someone who had a night-blooming cereus, and his bloomed multiple blooms at a time. With many open at once, he really had a great fragrance in the room or area. I forgot to ask how big it was though at the time. Hopefully, I will remember to ask if I get to speak with him again. I imagine you could fertilize to get growth and flowering going, too. It will love being outside in the heat. It will like being watered fairly frequently as it grows as long as the soil drains well. I'm glad it branched for you. I've got some that branched, too, and am happy that that happened. These make great plants, and they are easy to cut, root and make more plants. They are great for trade, and do not cost much to mail, and so easy to pack.