Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

Exbury azalea

helenh
12 years ago

This yellow one is blooming first; the orange ones will bloom later. It isn't a big enough shrub to waft fragrance like the big orange one, but it is fragrant if you smell the flower.

Comments (15)

• gldno1
    12 years ago

I love that color! Be sure to show us the other one when it opens.

I have a tiny white one that never grows and rarely has a bloom; I should just dig it up.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

I'm jealous! Do you amend your soil?
    I had an azalea on the north side of my house that stayed the same tiny size as when I planted it for years, then it started shrinking and finally died. I did try to make the soil more acidic but maybe being by the foundation was the problem. I have a Girard's Crimson still potted on my patio that I bought on clearance last summer that I need to put somewhere.

• teeandcee
    12 years ago

That's gorgeous! Every year I swear I'm getting one but never do.

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I can't grow the evergreen azaleas. The Exbury azaleas are deciduous. The soil is rocks Christie. I do try to water it when it is dry. The older one is under the barn roof drips but there were no drips last year. When it rains the one by the barn gets a good watering. I am surprised this one is still alive depending totally on me to water it. I probably do have acid soil because my blue berries survive by the barn also.

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

I lopve that one! I have an orange one but it isn't that big even though it has been there for years. I don't think it gets enough sun. I'd like to get a yellow one for another spot.

I have a couple dozen evergreen azaleas. I get 5 or 6 of the $1.99 ones at Lowe's when they come in, early spring, and put them in the woods, and let them grow on. I don't like digging big holes in my rocks so the little ones are great, and at that price, expendible but I haven't lost more than one or two over the last 5 years.. I don't do anything special to them, except to water them when it gets dry in the summer, and they do fine, except when the deer prune them and they don't bloom because they don't have any buds left!

Sandy

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sandy, water is the key. I don't have enough water in summer. Every evergreen azalea I have ever planted has died and they were planted in the same area as the Exbury. I do water my big azaleas though because that orange one is old and blooms every year with a nice fragrance. I would go into mourning if it died.

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

This little one will take years to get big.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

Beautiful color! I must be hungry. It reminds me of fried eggs. The hosta in the background is pretty too.

• helenh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think the hosta is June. Hostas do well in pots.

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

These are usually fragrant, but the honeysuckle and mockorange are very strong this year so I haven't noticed their fragrance so much.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Is that two different azaleas in the bottom photos or just one with two colors?

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think the orange one is Mandarine Lights. The lighter ones are a different color in the same series of Exbury azaleas. The darker one is the oldest plant. There are at least two of the lighter one. My newest one still in a pot is a pretty color. I got it at Lowes.

• gldno1
    11 years ago

Helen that is the most beautiful picture! The barn as a backdrop just makes it. I would grow more azaleas if I could do them that well.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Exactly what I was thinking Glenda. lol Mine wouldn't look that good. Maybe I just don't have the right spot for them. Helen - yours are getting runoff from the barn and some shade. I think I need a barn. : )

• helenh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The plants in the first pictures are not getting the barn run off but I do try to water them. I can't grow the other kind of azalea. Every one I ever planted has died. There used to be a pink rose by the orange azalea and it has disappeared. I guess it died last year. Every year it clashed pink and orange blooming at the same time. These azaleas are easier for me than roses or evergreen azaleas but run off from a building does help.