Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elginagent

New lawn

elginagent
14 years ago

We are about to start a new lawn from seed on a new construction project. I understand that the most popular grass around here is Bermuda. As I will be doing the seed/straw thing myself, Our dimension across the back is about 130' and on the side's about 115'. Our house which is about 74'x60' is within those boundary's as well. How much seed will be needed and I'm wondering what the settings might be for a Scott's drop spreader and any other tips that might be of use to me. Thanks for any help.

Comments (8)

• helenh
    14 years ago

I would not plant Bermuda.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Oh lordy, neither would I unless you never want any flower beds or shrub borders or anything besides Bermuda!!!

• elginagent
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, the lawns here are 90%or more Bermuda. If I plant Zoysia or something more expensive, how long would it take before it was overtaken by my neighbors Bermuda? I'm way beyond having an award winning yard/garden. Been there, done that. Our current location is on Bull Shoals lake and we back to the Corp of Engineers property. ie. we have woods behind us. The only thing we have is a raised vegetable garden. I'm fairly certain that spraying Roundup around the perimeter can keep the grass from invading that. Am I between that rock and the hard place?

• ekoboat
    14 years ago

The positive side of Bermuda is it covers well in poor soil and doesn't need much water in the summer. The down side is that it runs and allows weeds to invade in the spring because it greens up so late. Many people don't like bermuda because it runs, there are a couple of simple solutions to control it.
    You can't just spray roundup to control the spreading because the kill zone will spread into your yard. If you want to use roundup you need to root prune before you spray. This means taking a shovel and cutting a line into the soil so the roundup can't follow the runner. Look up 'Root pruning running bamboo' on google for more info. A second method is to use edging that goes 1 or 2 inches into the ground, bermuda runs at or near the surface. I have bermuda in my back yard and love the way it looks through the summer, I'll mow it at 3 or 4 inches and it's like a carpet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a bed in my yard root pruned.

• helenh
    14 years ago

elginagent if you are familiar with Bermuda, you know what you are getting into. I don't think it is easy to control. If you just want a lawn and aren't that much in to gardening, it does make a good summer lawn.

• ceresone
    14 years ago

I have been told that Zoysia grass, is just a improved Bermuda. And, I'm still wondering, if Bermuda is easy to control, why havent I made any headway in 40 years of fighting it?
    I've used Roundup, the improved Roundup, solarization, black plastic, landscape fabric, trenching--you name it. Gentleman at Scotts told me the roots are 7--8 foot deep, just cant trench that far. Bermuda is winning--and as most on here--I HATE bermuda.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

If all your neighbors have Bermuda, it will eventually invade your yard and garden anyway. Maybe you should just give in and plant it, especially if you're in a subdivision where there's more pressure to have a nice lawn. Yes it will help to spray around the outside of your raised bed. Edging would also help. Maybe if you use both, you can stay on top of it.

The University of Arkansas website has a LOT of info on establishing lawns, which cultivars do best, seeding rates etc. If you click on the first link below, it tells the seeding rate for Bermuda and ranks different types of Bermuda. Personally I would trust the seeding rate on a University Website over what the bag says because they're not trying to sell you something. It's a PDF. Let me know if you have trouble getting it to come up.

Congrats on your new home. Sounds huge!

Here is a link that might be useful: Establishing Seeded. Bermudagrass on Lawns, Golf. Courses or Athletic Fields

• gldno1
    14 years ago

Good luck!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations