Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

Look what my dogs treed

christie_sw_mo
17 years ago

I heard my dogs barking and saw something in our pecan tree that I thought was a possum at first:

First time I've ever seen a groundhog(?) in a tree. Is it a groundhog? My dogs were inside our fenced back yard and he was outside the fence but I think he climbed up the tree when they started barking at him. I took the dogs in the house and 10 minutes later he was gone again so I guess they can climb down too.

Comments (13)

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

Aw... yes. Looks like a groundhog. They're related to squirrels. Some climb to escape predators, some climb to eat bark when there isn't a lot of food available. Cute pic!

• oakleif
    17 years ago

Great picture. Did you tell your dog babies what good dogs they were? We've got one that hangs around where our road leaves the highway but has never come down this way.
    vickie

• gldno1
    17 years ago

Great shots christie. Now a question about your pecan tree, has it had any nuts yet, what variety and how old is your tree?

BTW, our dogs killed a huge groundhog a few years back. It was the first one I had ever seen.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We planted two pecan trees 15 + years ago that were seedlings from the conservation department. A friend gave us their extras. They don't seem to be growing very fast. The one in the picture is the largest one. It's had nuts for the last four or five years but always just a few. I think the most I've gotten is two dozen. The squirrels get a few too. The other tree had one nut on it last year - it's first. I think now that it's getting big enough to bloom, they will pollinate each other and we'll get more. (I hope) I have a few smaller trees also that I planted from pecans.
    With the late freeze and the ice storm damage, I'm not expecting any nuts this year. The tree in the picture had the top broken out of it after the ice storm and the groundhog is resting on one of the pruned limbs.

• gldno1
    17 years ago

Thanks, I thought it took a long time for production.

Good info.....I will probably skip nut trees.

• jaceysgranny
    17 years ago

That's a first for me too. I didn't know they could climb but I'd much rather have them in the tree than on the ground or should I say under the ground. Great Pics!
    Nancy

• Marian_2
    17 years ago

Neat shot Christie. In all of our 23 years in this location I have only seen one groundhog in our yard. It was apparently just passing through, thank goodness.
    Last year I never saw one anywhere, but my DH and I have both seen one this spring on our way to town. I too didn't know they could clinb trees.

• christie_sw_mo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Glad I wasn't the only one who didn't know they could climb trees. I haven't seen him again. My dogs are keeping an eye out for him though. lol

• Macmex
    16 years ago

Christie,

I grew up in Central NJ where groundhogs are a plague. Yes, they climb! The younger ones climb more than the older ones. One time, when I was a kid, I found six little ones climbing in a bunch of honey suckle. I picked them each up, by the tail, dropping them into a burlap sack and, of course,... took them home, asking if I could keep'em!

I've shot ground hogs climbing the fence into my garden (in NJ) and, if I ever see one on my place here in Tahlequah, OK, I'll shoot him too. They are so very destructive!

Incidentally, they are good to eat. They smell bad when being skinned and gutted. But they are heavenly when freshly roasted. For some reason I do not understand the leftovers warm up ... terrible! But first time around they are very good.

George

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

A groundhog ate off all the tops of my sweetpotatoes in a previous garden. I dispatched it. Even then, I felt sort of bad when I saw one that didn't make it across the highway, on my way to town yesterday. If they ever move in to our present yard, I will not be happy.
    I have decided that it may be mama skunk who is mining our yard for grubs. Whatever it is, it sure did leave a lot of the yard pockmarked last night. :-(

• sweetwm007
    16 years ago

macmex- any trans fat in cooked groundhog?

william

• gldno1
    16 years ago

Marian, could it be armadillos mining your yard? We can always tell by the scent when skunks have been around.

I think I will pass on the groundhog cooking....even if I did find one.

• Marian_2
    16 years ago

Yes Gld, it sure could be armadillos. Someone else suggested that it might be skunks...so I was just agreeing. Lot's of times 'our' skunks leave no scent. I just checked, and it worked the front of the house last night...the base of the front steps, and on along the edges of the flowerbeds, on around the corner.
    I'll pass on the groundhog cooking too. :-)
    That reminds me of my dad. He was always talking about the wild critters that were good to eat. ( He passed away in 1960 at the age 0f 82.) My DH tells of the ones his Arkansas family ate, espacially during the depression years. I think raccoons, opossums and squirrels were the main ones.