Original Author
    14 years ago

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• jspeachyn5
    14 years ago

Those are just lovely Helen.
    I have always wanted to grow them an this year I am. I have 4 different types planted so we will see what happens.
    Are you planted in the direct sun all day?
    The place where I ended up putting mine has sun in the morning an dapple shade a few hours around noon and then sun again after that. If this spot does not work out I will move them in the fall.
    Great inspiration!

• pauln
    14 years ago

Keep the seeds and scatter them about on good garden soil that doesn't have much mulch. They will seed freely, and often hybridize into new varieties. Mind don't last more than a couple of years, but they just keep moving in the garden from scattered seeds.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The best ones are the reseeded ones that come up in unexpected places. They have nice foliage this time of year; but get a little ratty later. Learn to recognize the seedlings; they make lots of seed. Mine are in part sun in different places in the yard. The one by the plastic barrel planter is under a walnut tree; the tree doesn't have leaves yet. So that plant will be going to seed before it is in the shade. It planted itself there; that is a moist place so it survived.

• misstwiggley
    14 years ago

Could you tell me how deep I should plant some columbine seed I have? Thank-you.

• sunnyside1
    14 years ago

Beautiful photos, Helen. You must have a really good camera. I haven't tried taking flower photos, but will when there's some sun. I love columbines.
    Sunny

• Violet_Z6
    14 years ago

Not deep at all. They're very small seeds so in nature, they wouldn't sink much over time. Just lightly sprinkle and then sprinkle soil on top.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Long answer to a simple question: I planted different kinds of columbines a few years ago. I have some that are like little bonnets. I now prefer the normal shaped flowers and think fancy is not necessarily better. I think I used jiffy mix or soil less potting mix. I just followed the directions on the package - shallow I believe. I am not sure I was really successful, but I got a few plants. I have purchased plants when I see one that is a nice color. I like the blues - don't care for the pale ones or maroon. Anyway ever since they have reseeded themselves. Sometimes I pick the dried seed heads and just throw seeds in flower beds. I don't plant them in the soil unless I get a new kind. Columbines make lots of seed and lots of seedlings come up but not all make it. In the pictures above the pink is in a big pot; the other two are not even in a flower bed but I let them stay where they wanted to grow. I need to label the ones I like because some are white odd ones or a very insipid pale pink. By the time the seedheads dry I will have forgotten which was which. They make lots of seed. I request more when I trade on the seed exchange because there may be others out there that I don't have. The foliage is attractive and I don't worry about the individual plants. They die sometimes or get ratty and I pull them up. There will be more in the spring (babies came up the previous summer). You have to watch for the babies so remember what they look like. I have moved some babies and sometimes they don't do well where I put them. They are best here and there a nice surpise, but where they want to grow.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

It's strange; they have never reseeded for me until this year and I got one plant about 3 feet from the mother plant (it died over winter). I did pinch off a seed pod and planted it in a clay pot and now have scads of seedlings that I need to separate. They were the yellow Chrysantha and that is all I have so I guess they will be yellow too.

I love that dark blue of yours Helen.

Another thing that everyone says reseeds for them is Autumn Clematis...........never has for me in the 17 years we have lived here.

• helenh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are lucky your s a clematis does not reseed. I have spent many hours putting the tips in bottles of dilute roundup. I wrote so much above because I did not discover columbines until a few years ago. They are a joy. I don't think they are pretty in the nurseries and I didn't know what I was missing.

• pauln
    14 years ago

I think there are 2 different species of autumn clematis. One is much more agressive than the other. The agressive one sends out runners that add to the spread as well as the feathery seeds coming up.

• pamcrews
    14 years ago

Yours are beautiful. What great pics. Mine are second year plants this year and I'm amazed at how much they have grown in size...probably tripled from last year. I had bought them in little 4inch pots. I can't wait to see what they will be like next year. I too scattered the seeds last year. I've got new ones coming up. How fun!
    Pam