Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharbear50_gw

Everything is blooming - doomed?

sharbear50
10 years ago

Oh no! Freeze warning for Monday night, April 14. Just when everything is blooming, dogwoods, tulips, daffodils, some stuff I don't recognize, etc.

Comments (6)

• sunnyside1
    10 years ago

Yes, I think we're doomed for a little damage Monday night. However, I've been through this before (more than several times) and things do recover from this.

I have a clematis on a fence I'm going to cover with a heavy blanket, and cold frames I'm putting over some of the planted vegetables. Even set-up cardboard boxes, buckets over plants, plastic bins, container pots, etc. will help. If you have tomatoes or peppers planted out, you'll be lucky to save them. Tender vegetables and flowers such as geraniums are hard to keep alive during 25 degrees overnight. That's for Joplin. Maybe you'll luck out and have better overnight temps.

My peach and cherry trees have not yet bloomed, so the fruit is safe, thank goodness.

Just "go with the flow" and do what you can. This is what living in our zone happens, occasionally.

I sure wish you good luck in keeping things alive, Sharbear.
    Sunny

• helenh
    10 years ago

I am covering what I can but I don't have that many sheets. I think I will cover the onions if I can find something to cover them. New things that have started to shoot out can be killed by a freeze; established plants will shoot out again. I have sheets over my cherry bushes and some of the lettuce. I saw tiny white stuff falling. I wish it would snow a couple inches not likely that will happen. I think I would dig up a geranium and bring it inside.

• gldno1
    10 years ago

I am too lazy to cover anything! I did bring in the new trees and shrubs that we hadn't planted yet. The back porch looks like a mini forest.

I figure my pear trees may have lost all fruit which is very annoying. The little plum tree had already had petal drop so most of the tiny plums will freeze and drop. You can't defeat this Ozarks weather!

I have nothing planted in the garden yet.

The sad thing is we only got 1/4 inch of rain.

• helenh
    10 years ago

When covering things yesterday I found what I think are hellebore seedlings. Should I dig these up and pot them or let them fend for themselves. They look crowded but I suppose the stronger ones would prevail.

• mosswitch
    10 years ago

Some of the hostas got bittn by the frost, only5 or 6, mostly plantagineas and a couple others.
    Helen, you can dig those hellebores up and transplant them easily. If you just leave them you will have a hellebore forest in a few years! I have hundreds of seedlings, I'll be digging up a bunch of them this week, moving some, giving the rest away. Or composting what's left.

Some of the bleeding hearts got frosted but everything else seems fine.

Sandy

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

Sandy, If you are willing to mail surplus hellebore seedlings, I'd happily pay postage. Seems a kinder fate than the compost heap.
    Bethb