helenh_gw

wild yard pictures

helenh
13 years ago

I admit it I have weeds.

Comments (9)

• mulberryknob
    13 years ago

What are the purple daisy-looking flowers in the first photo?

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

Are you surrounded by woods Helen? I'm jealous. We searched for a wooded lot when we built our house but it was very expensive compared to the hayfield lots.
    Your azalea really stands out. Beautiful!
    What are the maple-like leaves in the first picture behind the deutzia?

• gldno1
    13 years ago

I love it, Helen, weeds or not. You have two things I have wanted for a long time: Red Buckeye and deutzia. I don't know what I am waiting for! The hummers are supposed to love the buckeye.

Do either require any special handling to grow?
    I wonder if Wickman's in Springfield might have them.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

What are the purple daisy-looking flowers in the first photo?

I believe those are called Plastica(decor) but I could be wrong. lol
    I've been wondering what this huge bush is in my yard and it looks kinda like your deutzia. I'll get some pics and post them.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My deutzia shrub is a smaller cultivar. The big purple flowers are metal from Hobby Lobby. I have more metal flower stakes that my brother in law made for me. When there is a drought I won't need to water them. The shrubs behind the deutzia are oak leaf hydrangea. I planted that red buckeye from a seed I picked up on a path at Neosho Nurseries when it was in operation years ago. It is not in good soil and I don't give it any special care. It is very slow growing; that shrub has been there for years. They look like they are going to die in the hot summer sometimes, but the yellow ones by the creek do that too.

• gldno1
    13 years ago

taz, it probably is the old fashioned spirea. That is a much more common shrub in these parts. I want one of those too!

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

I should have recognized the oakleaf hydrangea. I have one of those. lol
    Taz - The big spirea that I've seen blooming here recently sort of have a weeping form and I've always thought the common name for them was Bridal Wreath Spirea but there's more than one species that has that common name.
    I'll link spirea vanhouttei below but s. prunifolia is also called Bridal Wreath. Maybe someone will know which one is more common. They're very pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: google - spirea vanhouttei

• taz6122
    13 years ago

It's not blooming yet but close. There is actually a honeysuckle that is growing out from the center of the plant and I thought (at a glance) it was the larger plant blooming. I'll get some pictures as soon as it starts. After googling spirea I found some of the leaves are similar but not quite the same.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a close up of the flower. They are slightly fragrant but not as fragrant as the orange ones that bloom later.

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH