Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldno1

Two firsts of the Season

gldno1
16 years ago

A pair of Orioles showed up yesterday. Not a good picture; I took it from the kitchen through the screen.

{{gwi:1111286}}

{{gwi:1111287}}

and the first iris of the season, a pass-a-long from my neighbors.

They are in reverse order, but I had so much trouble finding which link to use, I give up....not hard to figure out which is which!

They are clickables.

Comments (6)

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Photobucket made some changes and doesn't seem as easy to use as it used to be.

Those pictures look like they could be from my yard. I have a dark purple iris blooming also. It's the only one blooming so far and it's a surprise for me because I don't remember planting it where it is. lol I'm sure it wasn't there last year. Lots of buds on my other ones. Hope it didn't get cold enough last night to ruin them.
    My first Baltimroe Oriole showed up here on the 24th, a week earlier than last year. I now have been seeing two males and either one or two females. One of the females has been coming to my Oriole feeder but the males haven't yet. They like the real oranges I've been putting out for them.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So far, the Orioles have been very fleeting. I did see the male again this morning at the HB feeder.

We got some frost here and there on the flower beds, but I don't think it hurt anything. I have buds on a few iris too and on the peonies.

I still have a bushel basket of growing iris I salvaged from the rotted ones last fall that I need to get in the ground!

BTW, I have been seeing an ad in the paper for Karen and Nancy's Iris again...this time selling narcissus as cut flowers...wonder if they will be selling iris again.

• oakleif
    15 years ago

My purple iris are blooming also and purple and white iris. There seems to be so many more blooms this year. Have you noticed more than normal amount of blooms or did mine decide to be extra nice to me this year. LOL

• Marian_2
    15 years ago

I haven't checked here for awhile. Glad I did. You reminded me...my DH saw an Oriole at my hummingbird feeder Sunday afternoon while I was napping. He said it couldn't get it's beak into the holes. I need to find my other feeder. Maybe it would work better.

I have no Iris opened yet, but lots of big buds. Some of mine have lots of buds, others have very few.
    I do have two clematis open...Asaos. Lovely pink blooms.

I thought my Red-leafed Japanese maple was a goner from last April's hard freeze, but it is putting up a lot of growth from the bottom.( All of the top was killed.) I sent for another last year, from Vernon Barnes. I had it in a bucket of potting soil with all the rest of my shipment, and stored in the wellhouse all winter. I potted it up a few days ago. It is leafing out and has much fernier leaves than the old one.
    I potted up all the rest of the shipment, and everything is starting to grow, except the pink dogwood.

• gldno1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Marian, the orioles can eat out of the plastic flowers on one feeder but not the metal ones on the other. I am seeing them daily now.

My first clematis to bloom is pink too, but I am not sure of the name. I had a marker but it seems to be gone now.

I still haven't planted any of my things, but sure need to get busy now.

My magnolia Stellata now has a cluster of green around the base after having nary a leaf last year!

• peaceofmind
    15 years ago

Love those Orioles. I am waiting to see one here. We had them last year.
    And yes, I think the Iris are extra beautiful this year. I've been seeing them around town and my own are not as puny as usual.
    Anise

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer