Return to the Ozarks Region Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Hummingbirds are back

Posted by joeinmo 6b-7a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 19:53

Seen 2 male Rubys at my feeders today in Springfield area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Hummingbirds are back

Thanks Joe! I still need to put out my feeders. There isn't much blooming for them in my yard unless they would settle for redbud blooms or creeping phlox....or dandelions. : ) plenty of those.

o

I finally got the feeders out and now need to fill them. Nothing blooming here except lilacs, lunaria and the redbuds...some fruit trees.

I see the blasted starlings are nesting in the Martin house again. We need to take that down quickly and clean it out.

o

Native columbine is blooming here, the hummers love that.

Sandy Op

o

I used to have a couple native columbine plants. It should be tough stuff but mine disappeared for some reason. I think I have some seeds. I should dig them out and see if they will germinate.
My red honeysuckle has buds and red buckeye does too so those will both be blooming soon for the hummingbirds.

o

I heard one this evening when I was watering some dry plants. I didn't look to see what it was on but it was in my red buckeye area. I have crab apples, viburnum, columbine blooming. I will take some pictures even though you will see my weeds.

o

We saw our first one on Sunday but it didn't stay around long.
I have the feeder up; still don't have much blooming but an apple tree, the redbud and lunaria.

o

Saw my first one here in Springfield last evening. Just got my feeder up Saturday after looking at this thread. Don't know much about what kind but it was grey with a red neck and dark head. Really cool to watch as it ate and then flew back into a nearby tree.

o

dirtguy, it was a Ruby Throated Male

o

thanks joe. I looked it up and found out what it was from the pictures. All I know it was way cool.

o

thanks joe. I looked it up and found out what it was from the pictures. All I know it was way cool.

o

Watch for the males doing the pendulum dance for the ladies. You can hear the dance before you spot the bird.

o

I have 3 little females trying to keep warm, one slept under an open umbrella near the house. warmed up food for them a couple time today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ozarks Region Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here