Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamcrews_gw

Hummingbird Feeders are UP! Are Yours?

pamcrews
15 years ago

Okay...I've put two feeders up this afternoon and waiting for their arrivals. Would love to hear of sightings.

Sooooo ready for summer!

Pam

Lake of the Ozarks, MO

Comments (17)

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

put mine up sat. morning and had hummers sunday morning.
    william

• pamcrews
    Original Author
    15 years ago

William: Where are you located?

• jspeachyn5
    15 years ago

I put mine up... I believe it was last Friday (10th).
    Like you Pam.
    Still no hummers here yet. But watching for them.
    Maybe it is like a pot of water, and I need to stop watching so
    much. lol
    Lucky you William.
    Anyone else have any yet?

• gldno1
    15 years ago

Still none here; the first day for me last year was April 19.
    I saw my first butterfly Monday, it was black but moving so fast I couldn't identify it.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

I haven't seen any here yet but it shouldn't be long.

I need to get my Oriole feeder up. I think the first Orioles showed up about the same time as the hummingbirds last year, before May.
    Our puppy is still hopeful that she'll be able to jump twenty feet into the air and catch a bird. She tries so hard but of course hasn't caught anything yet. I was hoping she would grow tired of that by this spring but she's trying hard as ever. Hope the barking doesn't scare the hummingbirds away.

• teeandcee
    15 years ago

I'll put mine up today once I get some sugar. We didn't hang ours last year. Instead we just sat them on the rails of the deck. It was so much fun to watch all the hummers buzzing through the rails, sitting on the rails, etc.

• sweetwm007
    15 years ago

pam-i am in yellville, ar.

we have had butterflies for at least 2 weeks. also gnats. hate those things!

william

• pamcrews
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay...two days now and still patiently waiting.....sigh.....

Pam

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I saw my first butterfly a couple of days ago; still no Martins, Hummers or Orioles.........patiently waiting.

• ceresone
    15 years ago

Humming birds here yesterday, the 16 th

• pamcrews
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Was sitting out on my deck this afternoon enjoying a glass of wine (okay, maybe two glasses!) and saw the first hummingbird of the season. I (softly) yelled down to my hubby that he was back and he took off. After an hour or so he was use to our voices and stayed on the feeder. Sooooo happy to see him back.

Pam

• RoseRustler
    11 years ago

We're just outside Branson. Third floor balcony with the million dollar view. Have a potted Crepe Mytle tree up and just put out the feeder and am seeing Hummers right away. So the birds are here but where are the posters who were talking about them in April? Would love to chat and share information currently.

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago

Saw one here yesterday afternoon so got my feeded filled today. Didn't see any in the spring. I am in Springfield. Gotta be a real struggle for the little things in this heat.

• pamcrews
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Roserustler and Dirtguy...so happy to see your posts....even three years after I posted. HA!!!! I have a few hummers here at Lake of the Ozarks.... I have three feeders up I seem to have more woodpecker action on them than humingbirds.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

Welcome Roserustler! I saw a hummingbird at my crape myrtle today too. I don't have a feeder up this year. I get lazy about cleaning them out so I just planted a lot of flowers instead. In my yard they like red honeysuckle, Cardinal Flower, my red zinnias, butterfly bush, and salvia Black and Blue. I don't know how any of those would do in containers but it might be worth a try.
    Pam - You must've gotten an email when this thread got revived. How's your garden doing? Shame on you for staying away so long. lol Is it as hot and dry up there as it is here?

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    11 years ago

lol pamcrews, haven't seen the wookpeckers but sure hear them a lot more this year. I don't know anything about the hummers but think it is way cool when they come around.

• pamcrews
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Christie...yeah, I've been a slacker....seems Facebook gets more of my attention these days. Gardens are doing well but we seem to have a bumper crop of armadillos this year....those little ****** are digging up everything! How are you and your gardens, in spite of the lack of rain?

Dirtguy, I too have noticed a huge increase in woodpeckers and birds in general. We thought it because of the black oilier sunflower seeds we've been feeding them, but after reading your post, I guess not. Big increase in birds but a huge decrease in hummingbirds....I wonder why that is?