Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bornagain_gw

Springfield Area

bornagain_gw
12 years ago

I have been looking in the Springfield area for retirement. I have a lot of shady perennials that I would like to take with me. Would like to know more about gardening in your area and also about the area in general. I have excellent dirt here with no rocks that I hate to leave, but want to retire to a warmer climate. Thank you in advance.

Comments (7)

• gldno1
    12 years ago

I think you have made a good choice. The rocks will be very different for you. My sis lives in Iowa and she is amazed about our rocks.

If you are lucky and find an older place that has been gardened before, that will be a plus and some places aren't quite as rocky as others. We have a spot on the farm where we dug down four feet for a corner post and found nary a rock!

The rocky soil grows things wonderfully though and I don't think you will be disappointed there.

The ground will dry out faster than deep Iowa soil but I just live with it and try to mulch heavily.

Strangely, our weather this year has almost been identical to her Iowa weather; she lives in the West Des Moines general area out in the country.

• teeandcee
    12 years ago

I can't add anything to what Gldno said, but welcome should you decide to move here. I moved up from Florida (talk about totally different gardening!) and love it here.

I've found a pickaxe to be the best thing for digging rather than a shovel.

• christie_sw_mo
    12 years ago

The rocks seem to be harder on ME than the plants. The plants don't mind and some probably like the better drainage. It's mostly a problem when I'm planting something big like a tree that requires a large hole.

If you're bringing plants from Iowa that have a large root ball that you're trying to keep intact and you find that your soil is too rocky here, you may be able to cut down on the work by planting them in compost. When they put in a hosta garden at the botanical gardens here, they dumped big piles of compost (or perhaps it was mulch) and planted directly in that. Much easier to dig in and the hostas have done well. I assume compost would be easier on the trees rather than piling topsoil too deeply on their roots.

Good luck with your move. Hope you find the perfect spot with some deep rooted trees for your shade garden. Are you looking for a place in the city or some acreage outside of town?

Here's the link for GOHS. They are the ones that put in the hosta garden I mentioned. When you get ready to plant, they may be able to give you some advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Greater Ozarks Hosta Society

• dirtguy50 SW MO z6a
    12 years ago

teeandcee, yep a pickaxe is a staple tool here. lol

• mosswitch
    12 years ago

Another link to the Natanial Close botanical garden where the hosta garden is located: They can also answer questions, have a calender of events, a weekly blog, and all sorts of good information. Well worth joining if you are going to live in the Springfield area. The Master Gardener program is very active too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Friends of the Garden

• Violet_Z6
    11 years ago

"The Master Gardener program is very active too."

Yes. It is!

Here is a link that might be useful: Master Gardeners of Greene County

• joeinmo 6b-7a
    11 years ago

It will be different depending on what side of Springfield you move to.

The far north side, north of I-44 will have darker, less rocky soil than if you move towards Nixa or Ozark. What's nice about Springfield is that you are truly about as far north you can get to plant some nice southern trees and plants. Also nice long growing season.

I planted a Texas Live oak last year, doing fine, have excellent apricot trees, but you have magnolia, cypress, Tulip, and Dogwood and a great range of flower and vegetable possibilities you see mainly in the south. Most every month of the year in the winter you will have 60 and 70 degree days to break up those cold spells. Long Springs and Falls, short mild winters.